BMW NineT Forum banner

41 - 55 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I have emailed this company twice now. No reply... Maybe they don't do English. Does anyone know if you can import this to the U.S.? And the approximate cost?
Here is the email reply I got back from them on 05/17/16. Hope your German is better then mine. :laugh2:

Dear Mr. Lee,
thank you very much for your inquiry.
Here is our offer. For more information please have a look at our website Motorrad-Gespannbau - Wir bauen Ihnen Ihr Motorrad-Seitenwagen-Gespann nach Ihren Wünschen .
Greetings

Elsbeth Müller

Fa. Mueller-Gespanne
Ellerueher Weg 2-4
24398 Brodersby
Germany
Tel: 0049(0)4644-893
Fax: 0049(0)4644-1493
E-Mail: [email protected]
Motorrad-Gespannbau - Wir bauen Ihnen Ihr Motorrad-Seitenwagen-Gespann nach Ihren Wünschen

·
Registered
30 Posts
a nice rig for sure, factory setups on a special order basis would be great, but prolly out of my budget until preowned. with many higher mile boxer engines reliability is pretty good it seems. as i noted freedom sidecars in middleburg pa does it all + has customers from distances that want it done correctly + claude is well known on advriders doing BMW rigs as well as others. be can build a chair from scratch from steel or aluminum for whatever bike you own.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
a nice rig for sure, factory setups on a special order basis would be great, but prolly out of my budget until preowned. with many higher mile boxer engines reliability is pretty good it seems. as i noted freedom sidecars in middleburg pa does it all + has customers from distances that want it done correctly + claude is well known on advriders doing BMW rigs as well as others. be can build a chair from scratch from steel or aluminum for whatever bike you own.
How much does a sidecar like that cost when purchased from within the US?

Is the sidecar fixed or can it lean with the bike?

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
My wife rode of the back of my bike once back in '75 or '76. She hasn't gotten near a motorcycle since. She actually encourages me to ride but she wants no part of riding herself.
The one time my wife rode with me she kept hitting her helmet on my helmet every time I switched gears. One trip around the lake road we used to live on was all she tried. Now it's "that's nice honey, see you in a week or so". Been working now going on 48 years.

·
Registered
636 Posts
During the second world war Erwin Rommel commanded the Africa corp and had many three wheeled BMW Sidecar machine gun moto’s that were dual wheel drive. Reportedly they were used when the huge Hanomag SdKfz half tracks got stuck in the sand dunes by chaining three or four BMW’ to the beast. The got the nick name of Rommels work horse. “Rommels Arbeitspferd”
They were the R75 BMW’s Indestructible and constantly abused throughly ..... “Blitz Krieg”

·
Registered
636 Posts
Just the thing for dealing with slower traffic ahead.

Meanwhile, where have I ever seen a handlebar that wide? Oh, right. On my R9T. At least I have that...
What ....... No machine gun, your dealer ripped you off. They are supposed to come with a grenade launcher too, and you should see the cool helmets. A trailer is sooo much easier to control than a side car ..... I sent you a PM conversation ......Enjoy

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
How do sidecars ‘fix’ to modern bikes?
Sure they used to build lugs into the frame when I was a kid.

Sidecar in one of the pics looks to be leaning into a corner!

In the UK, when you could ride any capacity bike if it had a third wheel, (Long ago?) some enterprising chap came out with a very lightweight frame (No bodywork) with a 3rd wheel that qualified as a sidecar. I think that too might have had a pivot point between bike and sidecar so it could lean into corners.
Ken.

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,633 Posts
n the UK, when you could ride any capacity bike if it had a third wheel, (Long ago?) some enterprising chap came out with a very lightweight frame (No bodywork) with a 3rd wheel that qualified as a sidecar. I think that too might have had a pivot point between bike and sidecar so it could lean into corners.
Yeah it was called a Sidewinder if I remember right.....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Last season, had a chat with a couple that were campaigning a R75 rig. All the 'leaning', is done by the passenger, helmet just inches off the racetrack.
I was curious as to the placement of the sidecar, it seems that on a clockwise course the preference is for a right side mount and vice versa.
Brave folk, those rig 'passengers'!

"four wheels good, two wheels better"

·
Registered
229 Posts
I met someone with a Ural.
Nice looking, but the owner said it's a workout to drive it.
It seems like there is a lot of effort to control it straight.
I was impressed with the spare wheel and trunk capacity.
He said the sidecar wheel is driven.
So it's 2 wheel drive.
Don't think there are many supporting dealerships for this bike.
Made in Russia

41 - 55 of 54 Posts