BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T 2014
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had the Classic Dart Flyscreen for some months now and I'm really loving it. Removes a lot of wind pressure at cruising speeds. Whenever I find myself on highways though (I try not to find myself there), the flyscreen isn't really big enough to make the trip bearable. Problem is I don't want a bigger screen, in my opinion it destroys the look of the bike.

So to my question: does anyone have experience with windscreen clip-ons? The idea was getting a rather small one, pull it out of a pannier bag and smack it on the flyscreen whenever I need some extra relief from wind. The only clip-on I've found so far is one off aliexpress. New to this forum so removed the link and inserted a photo instead, not sure if aliexpress-links fly around here.

Not too sure about measurements etc yet, haven't been able to check my flyscreen. But something like it is what i'm going for.

Have any of you tried any similar solution and do you have any product to recommend?

Cheers

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,244 Posts
Not heard of anyone fitting a clip-on wind deflector to a Dart screen in particular, will be interesting to see if anyone has done this.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'd very much like to see a pic of a DART screen, please. TIA...

·
Registered
644 Posts
Here's a pic with a Dartscreen on my '14. Model is Classic with dark tint. Both practical and stylish - though not ideal for longer high speed trips. Hence the search for a clip-on...

Thank you - that looks neat, though as you suggest not necessarily ideal for longer rides. It looks similar in style and effect to my PUIG screen pictured below. I will follow this Thread and if you find a clip-on that does the job may follow suit. Thank you...

Reactions: schubiee

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have the Dart Classic as well. Not much for protection but I honestly didn't expect it to be. For me it's a true 'fly screen' to keep some bugs out of the nooks and crannies around the gauges. And, it does look great. That said, I have that very deflector on my GS and I loved it. It was such a functional piece. That is of course a taller screen so I would be curious what practical improvement it would offer on the lower Dart.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I know it’s all about the look for most of you, I was that way for many years, no more. My quest for comfort rules these day. I think it happened around 65. Looking cool became less important than being comfortable. I also realize that many of you would rather go off road than highway, not me. I’m always riding the concrete ribbon and rarely get under 70. Blitz seems to be most at home in top gear around 80/85 mph, she purrs like the tiger she is. I needed a screen that allowed me to freely move with out much resistance at speed so I combined a clip on with a small windshield. This allows me to sit fully erect at 100 with little pressure on my helmet or neck...exactly what I was looking for ..as I can ride now for hours at a time at 85/90 with out exhausting my neck and shoulders. I don’t have to turtle down or duck or tuck anything. I sit and posture the same way at a stop sign as I do at 100. I know the look is not ..Cafe’..but it is comfortable at speed. I haven’t eaten a bug in a long time now. I figure at 100 nobody’s going to get much time to notice I’m not cool anyway, ...I can look cool later .... much later.... StayUpOn2 “Comfortably” Mates ........ Blitz

·
Registered
644 Posts
Scottz' pic above is better than my earlier one. The PUIG fly-screen has quite a tight radius to it rather than being flatt-ish across the top, which might present a difficulty in getting a clip-on to work. Also, the screen material on the PUIG is fairly thin so any clip-on would need to be as light as possible so as not to put too much stress on the screen. But I'm gonna start looking at the many alternatives, and will report back in due course! I'll also ask PUIG if they have a compatible clip-on.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,713 Posts
I bought a small wind deflector for my Adventure bike that has a single attachment in the middle, so is easier to mount on a smaller windscreen. The clamp is quite stable. There are plenty of shapes and sizes available.
Just look on Amazon or eBay.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I bought a small wind deflector for my Adventure bike that has a single attachment in the middle, so is easier to mount on a smaller windscreen. The clamp is quite stable. There are plenty of shapes and sizes available.
Just look on Amazon or eBay.

Thanks! Yes - plenty of choice on E Bay, and I am sure that the single centre attachment is the only way, given the pronounced across-the-screen curvature.

Reactions: BlitzSchnell

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T 2014
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I think it's clear that a few of us with smaller screens (Dart, Puig etc) still want some extra wind protection from time to time. Someone with our problem has yet to present a solution though. The clip ons I've found so far is the one @Captain presented and the one I pasted a photo of in the beginning. The problem with the Dart is that it isn't wide enough for a double bracket clip-on. The ones I've found are a minimum of 21cm between brackets, which puts the clip on too far down the screen. So my guess now is that the only viable option is the single attachment clip on that @Captain presented. Unless someone out there has found a third alternative?

·
Registered
907 Posts
I like this one.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Very nice. Goes well with the bark busters too. Good clean look. Nice taste Christen.
Can you close off or block the vent holes in winter ? How about a picture from the other side too. Riders perspective. Thanks

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'll take a better one tomorrow. I installed an Excel Throttle Control, so those are the Wunderlich handguards. No bar end mounts to interfere with the Excel.

I’ve got the same style cruzecontrol Chris, but a different brand. I really like it and the way it works and remains so subtile and inconspicuous. You have to look for it. I like that. I’m not so crazy about your tank bag but I’ll bet it holds a lot. Is that yellow color a big refelector? If it’s not ...why not dye it a dark Color like the Paint Job on the bike ? Just curious. ......Blitz

·
Premium Member
2019 BMW R9T Pure
149 Posts
I’ve got the same style cruzecontrol Chris, but a different brand. I really like it and the way it works and remains so subtle and inconspicuous. You have to look for it. I like that. I’m not so crazy about your tank bag but I’ll bet it holds a lot. Is that yellow color a big reflector? If it’s not ...why not dye it a dark Color like the Paint Job on the bike ? Just curious. ......Blitz
The Giant Loop stuff is made out of the same kind of heavy material used in flatbed truck tarps (the kind I used to have to cover my loads with). It wouldn't take dye worth a damn. And I like me my color pops! It's not reflective but I like the contrast, lol. I've been considering snagging a Mosko Moto Hood tankbag, but right now that's $200 I don't have. I really like Mosko's gear. Totally indestructible. And, just between you and me, I've been known to wear my brown work boots with my black motorcycle jacket. Please don't tell anyone!!

·
Registered
907 Posts
The Giant Loop stuff is made out of the same kind of heavy material used in flatbed truck tarps (the kind I used tfo have to cover my loads with). It wouldn't take dye worth a damn. And I like me my color pops! It's not reflective but I like the contrast, lol. I've been considering snagging a Mosko Moto Hood tankbag, but right now that's $200 I don't have. I really like Mosko's gear. Totally indestructible. And, just between you and me, I've been known to wear my brown work boots with my black motorcycle jacket. Please don't tell anyone!!
I won’t breathe a word, your secret is safe with me. Besides if you just ride at night nobody will notice. The fashion police knock off at 6 PM every day. I like you Christian, always going against the grain. Now I know those brown boots will take to Black dye, I’ve done two pair my self. I’m going to look up Mosko. First time I’ve come across that brand. I ride with knee highs around my feet so they’ll match my black leather jacket ... (see pict), ....look for me on the cover of Vogue magazine coming soon to news stands everywhere. I’ve already made the cover of the Rolling Stoned, ... or was that ...Texas most wanted ? ...I get them mixed up don’t cha know. ✌😎

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like this one.

Agree this one looks great, but it’s not a clip on, correct?

I have the Dart as well and extension linked earlier with the single clamp looks like a good solution, but wondering how much wind buffering it adds to the Dart and if it’s worth it for long trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts