BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Hello to you all,

There is another option that you might consider. These are more for the screens on bikes like the Racer and the more sporty bikes. Bob Heath Visors makes these add on screens in two sizes and they can be affixed with thin Velcro (the Bob Heath company does not suggest this but we've done it and it works in an emergency) or holes can be drilled for a more permanent attachment. We have been using them for years when the wind changes and the racers are having a trail staying out of the air stream. They do work quite well and I installed them on bikes where they reach fairly high top speeds. Places such as Phillips Island and the IOM are where we became familiar with this product as they were being used by many of the other racers.

Cheers
Rich

·
Premium Member
2019 BMW R9T Pure
149 Posts
This one mounts with brackets at top triple tree clamp and under headlight with anchor. I also have the GPS bracket that acts as upper support. It's stable at speed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This one mounts with brackets at top triple tree clamp and under headlight with anchor. I also have the GPS bracket that acts as upper support. It's stable at speed.
Ah ok. Good to know. Do you have a link to it or the brand/model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
907 Posts
Agree this one looks great, but it’s not a clip on, correct?

I have the Dart as well and extension linked earlier with the single clamp looks like a good solution, but wondering how much wind buffering it adds to the Dart and if it’s worth it for long trips.

I like it too but note how thin the plexi is and understand any clip on is no stronger than the window it’s clipped to. I had to add struts on mine to keep it from folding over at speeds over 90 because my screen is the barn door that Lawrence is talking about. Mine is much higher and larger but It would buckle over and flap in the wind until I added the struts. Now it doesn’t budge at any speed. I can sit up straight in the saddle at 125 and get no significant buffeting at all. I love it, even though it looks like sh*t, but she’s no Cafe’ so I don’t care. .......Blitz

·
Registered
644 Posts
The radius or curvature of the top of my PUIG flyscreen is such that one of these central-mount clip-ons would look ridiculous, as it would present a straight line across the top of the flyscreen. But I have successfully folded/ bend plexiglass before, and reckon I could do so again to put something of a curve into the deflector. and make it more compatible from both a visual and functional point of view with the PUIG unit. I shall mull it over...

Reactions: Dauphinais

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've had the Classic Dart Flyscreen for some months now and I'm really loving it. Removes a lot of wind pressure at cruising speeds. Whenever I find myself on highways though (I try not to find myself there), the flyscreen isn't really big enough to make the trip bearable. Problem is I don't want a bigger screen, in my opinion it destroys the look of the bike.

So to my question: does anyone have experience with windscreen clip-ons? The idea was getting a rather small one, pull it out of a pannier bag and smack it on the flyscreen whenever I need some extra relief from wind. The only clip-on I've found so far is one off aliexpress. New to this forum so removed the link and inserted a photo instead, not sure if aliexpress-links fly around here.

Not too sure about measurements etc yet, haven't been able to check my flyscreen. But something like it is what i'm going for.

Have any of you tried any similar solution and do you have any product to recommend?

Cheers
Yes, this is funny to me, I don't understand why some people think a well made fairing would ruine the look of our bike? I am putting on the Daytona, black storm metallic like my original Roadster color. And when I look at the bike with and without, there is no comparison to me.. If anything it complements the bike so well it makes it complete.
Plus of course wind protection for rides over 160 km/h out on the open roads. There must be something to stop direct wind flow in to your chest, or you'll never get to ride our bike fast with pleasure like I do.
The only thing that really ruins the lines of our bike is when you start putting one small and insignificant screen on top of another, just to achieve the effect of protection from the wind blast at high speeds. But this is what the half fairing like Daytona is made for. Plus it's designed very sturdy and great quality. Just looks so bad ass, and my 9T is also turned in to a highway, besides street bandit. Cheers Riders 🌚 🌚 🌚 😁

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hey Mods, the info about forming Lexan wind screens or clip-ons that got tossed because it was off topic was intended to show how to re-make a Factory wind screen or clip-on using the factory mounting hardware from the old screen and forming or enlarging the Lexan screen to make it more effective than the original factory shape. “Off topic” ??? It was dead on topic. If they don’t make a shape or size that suits you, make your own using their hardware. What’s off topic about that ? No biggie here, just looking for your logic. .........Blitz

·
Administrator
11,244 Posts
Hey @BlitzSchnell your post was not tossed, my friend. If you look on the forum it appears that your helpful post has been treated with respect regarding the valuable info it contained. There is no record of deletion, nor of a punt, but now for the good news! Its in a thread in its own right! I'm assuming you never created this thread in that location? Now my is memory famously bad and I honestly can't remember moving this post (could have been another Mod) but bottom line is that it definitely deserved getting its own thread because I think it would easily get missed in a windscreens clip-on thread. However I hear what you say and do agree that there should be some reference to reforming Lexan on this thread. So to tie this up as neatly as I can for you (plus retaining some value of your moved post to this thread) I'll place a link to your new thread below, and this will also guide folk reading this thread to the info on moulding a windshield out of Lexan.

I would also ask that if you have any issue with a Mod decision I would encourage you to send a private conversation to any mod you wish (or all of us) and ask for an explanation rather than asking us on a thread and potentially causing a lot of thread drift discussion regarding a mod decision rather than chatting about the topic on hand.

Also have a look through your alerts as when I move a post I normally send an alert to the member whose post I've moderated to give a very brief explanation of the move.

Any issues please send me or any mod a private conversation message and we'll happily discuss.

Thanks mate. :)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hey @BlitzSchnell your post was not tossed, my friend. If you look on the forum it appears that your helpful post has been treated with respect regarding the valuable info it contained. There is no record of deletion, nor of a punt, but now for the good news! Its in a thread in its own right! I'm assuming you never created this thread in that location? Now my is memory famously bad and I honestly can't remember moving this post (could have been another Mod) but bottom line is that it definitely deserved getting its own thread because I think it would easily get missed in a windscreens clip-on thread. However I hear what you say and do agree that there should be some reference to reforming Lexan on this thread. So to tie this up as neatly as I can for you (plus retaining some value of your moved post to this thread) I'll place a link to your new thread below, and this will also guide folk reading this thread to the info on moulding a windshield out of Lexan.

I would also ask that if you have any issue with a Mod decision I would encourage you to send a private conversation to any mod you wish (or all of us) and ask for an explanation rather than asking us on a thread and potentially causing a lot of thread drift discussion regarding a mod decision rather than chatting about the topic on hand.

Also have a look through your alerts as when I move a post I normally send an alert to the member whose post I've moderated to give a very brief explanation of the move.

Any issues please send me or any mod a private conversation message and we'll happily discuss.

Thanks mate. :)
Will do Dave. I see now a PM would have been more appropriate. Thanks for your kind and respectful guidance. Regards my friend. ....Blitz

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T 2014
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
While this thread partly turned into a discussion whether a big size fairing looks nice or not, I finally took matters into my own hands and got myself a clip on to test this theory of mine. The one I found was a Puig wind deflector, middle-price range, sturdy and easy enough to mount and dismount. I got their deflector 2, 4717H, and tried this out on my recent 500km trip, 300 of which were highways. Attached to a DART Flyscreen. Now to the result!

Disappointment. The deflector raised my wind protection with about 10cm but the difference was barely noticeable. Cruising speeds at 100 km/h were nice, and that's where the deflector actually made a difference. Above that with highway speeds around 120, the difference was unnoticeable. This MIGHT have to do with the angle of the deflector, I didn't experiment very much with this and it's possible a more upright angle could prove better. I'll try this and evaluate for my 500km trip back home. Until then you'll have to do with a picture of my packed out touring-NineT! Also, here's a pic of the actual deflector.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wound up abandoning the clip-on idea and just picked up a bigger windshield - the Puig 0336H for round headlights. Much better protection at high speeds once fitted properly. AND there was the added bonus of only having to remove the plastic shield part of the Dart flyscreen I had installed and not having to remove its bracket. The Puig extended far out enough that it cleared the Dart bracket. Just stuck some rubber bumpers on the bracket to protect the plastic. Was an easy swap back to the Dart for city riding.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I wound up abandoning the clip-on idea and just picked up a bigger windshield - the Puig 0336H for round headlights. Much better protection at high speeds once fitted properly. AND there was the added bonus of only having to remove the plastic shield part of the Dart flyscreen I had installed and not having to remove its bracket. The Puig extended far out enough that it cleared the Dart bracket. Just stuck some rubber bumpers on the bracket to protect the plastic. Was an easy swap back to the Dart for city riding.

That PUIG 0336H looks like the cat's whiskers, gilzoo - enough extra height to make it more effective, but also not looking too out-of-place on the bike, especially being clear rather than dark or otherwise tinted. Would you mind my asking what is the height from the top of the dial(s) to the top of the screen - see my pic below of the measurement on the PUIG Retrovision mini-fairing/ screen I have fitted, which looks OK but is quite ineffective. TIA as always...

·
Registered
644 Posts
Since the DART Marlin screen will not fit my bike according to the DART manufacturers, I've been scratching my head for other possible solutions. Yesterday's 430km outing took me across our Great Dividing Range where, despite it being 25 deg C (77 deg F) on the coastal plain I left behind, it was decidedly chilly.

I have now come up with a possible solution, which will be to fit on top of the existing and quite ineffective PUIG Retravision screen one of the cheap E Bay clip-on 'deflectors', which just may give me the extra bit of cover from upper-body wind-blast that I want. For about AUD$32 it is worth a try.

I will have to bend the deflector so that it follows as closely as possible the sharp curve of the top of the PUIG screen, but the central fastening clip should suit that approach. At 275mm wide (before bending it) and 130mm deep it may make a difference - we shall see!

·
Registered
30 Posts
That PUIG 0336H looks like the cat's whiskers, gilzoo - enough extra height to make it more effective, but also not looking too out-of-place on the bike, especially being clear rather than dark or otherwise tinted. Would you mind my asking what is the height from the top of the dial(s) to the top of the screen - see my pic below of the measurement on the PUIG Retrovision mini-fairing/ screen I have fitted, which looks OK but is quite ineffective. TIA as always...
View attachment 133543
Already pulled it off but here’s a pic. Looks like it’s a bit bigger. The top of the dials would be around where the top of the brackets are.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Thanks, gilzoo. That 0336H looks appreciably taller than my own PUIG RETROVISION screen, and at least a couple of the compatible DART screens, by about 5" guesstimating, and would definitely prove worthwhile for me. BUT, without having seen them in the flesh I do not like the appearance of the supports/ brackets. Still working on a solution!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks, gilzoo. That 0336H looks appreciably taller than my own PUIG RETROVISION screen, and at least a couple of the compatible DART screens, by about 5" guesstimating, and would definitely prove worthwhile for me. BUT, without having seen them in the flesh I do not like the appearance of the supports/ brackets. Still working on a solution!
Yeah, the brackets on this one aren’t ideal for long term use and require periodic tightening since they loosen up under vibration, but fine for occasional use.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Less than a week after ordering, the clip-on deflector has arrived. The various metal parts look to be sturdy and well-made, and the colour and surface finish matches exactly the nearby parts of the R9T - see my earlier post #36 above. A couple of the smaller parts included have me baffled at first glance, as no instructions are supplied, but I'll work it out. Just gotta wait now for Mrs Suburbia to go out for an hour or two so I can use her new $1100 electric oven to bend the deflector, after I've made a template of the curve required. Stay tuned!

LATER EDIT:... "no instructions are supplied, but I'll work it out". Famous last words - this is a Rubik's cube to out-Rubik Rubik himself! But I did work it out, and it's a clever and very complete little kit. Pix below show the screen test-fitted, and I'm glad I did this it has shown me that I really only need to bend inwards the outer 'wings' of the deflector itself to get it to conform more closely to the quite sharp curvature of the PUIG screen, rather than bending the whole thing. Depending on how high I fit the screen - the adjustment in the mounting bracket allows for about 50mm/ 2" or so vertically - and how far the screen is raked back or forwards, I should gain at least 100mm/ 4" or so above the top of the existing PUIG screen. It's not a particularly pretty look, but function over form wins every time. Further notes later after bending and a test-outing....

Reactions: Dauphinais
21 - 40 of 41 Posts