BMW NineT Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Further to my post #40 above: an alternative to bending the new Lucite (or whatever it is) deflector has suggested itself, namely to buy a cheap helmet visor and cut this to shape, as it will be already curved. My own helmet visor, of a pretty standard type, is 125mm/ 5" tall at the front, a little taller than the deflector it would replace, which should make it at least as effective. Being nicely curved it would also appear more integrated, in fact the curvature of my visor matches almost exactly the top curvature of the PUIG screen, promising that better 'look' and maybe even more coverage from wind-blast, which is what I'm looking for.

Of course the visor material is thinner than the deflector's 3 or 4mm (I don't have a decent caliper to measure precisely), but with any luck it should stand up to the air-flow adequately - time will tell. Most of the motorcycle acccessories shops I visit have a bin of cheap replacement visors, so I'll be shopping around next week! More later.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Epic fail! Not 50 metres from home this morning the deflector screen started waving back and forth like a banner at a Trump rally, then it got tired and lay down flat, pointing backwards. That can be put down to my not tightening the cam-style lever tilt-adjustment - seen in the pic above - sufficiently, but more worrisome was the immediate impression that the PUIG screen to which the deflector is fastened might not be up to the job of holding things together, especially at speed. The brackets that secure the PUIG screen/ fairing to the top fork clamps are of quite thin metal, and also heavily perforated with the nine T logo, making them even more fragile, so I did a quick circuit round the block, and once back home removed the whole plot.

The weight of the complete deflector kit is a fairly substantial 273g (9.6 ounces), of which the chunky Lexan (?) deflector itself weighs in at 118g (4.2 ounces ). I've put it all to one side now, as at a mere AUD$32 cost it's not gonna break the bank, but I suspect I'll come back to it later with a thinner, lighter visor-derived screen and much tighter adjustment of the tilt function. But if not, and even if that were to work, I really don't need any such extra wind-blast protection given the sub-tropic clime here, but I do enjoy a bit of a challenge coming up with such solutions to non-existent problems!

41 - 42 of 42 Posts