BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
161 - 180 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am looking for some tips...when wrapping the tank are you removing the fuel cap ? I feel there is not space next to the cap rubber seal to squeeze the film in (see pic). Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am looking for some tips...when wrapping the tank are you removing the fuel cap ? I feel there is not space next to the cap rubber seal to squeeze the film in (see pic). Thanks

Very easy to remove the tank cap and rubber gasket. Only a few screws involved.

Tip: cover the tank hole with rag when unscrewing the screws. That way screws wont fall in hehe

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is it possible to wrap the tank in one piece of foil?

Im no expert, in fact this was my first wrap. But i think that it is possible.

I started mid line. Was able to wrap one side with no cuts. But when i was repeating it on the other side, i lost patience and had to use tri-line tape. The trick is not to stretch the material so much that you end up with too much excess stuff.

Anyway, it was a fun experience, i advise that you try it. Vinyl is pretty cheap anyway. You can always start over if you make a mistake.

·
Premium Member
2018 r nineT Racer
13 Posts
Vinyl wrap project done.

Here’s my racer after the most recent mod it’s received. 3M wrapped my Rizoma airbox covers and the Puig rear tire hugger mudguard. I’m most likely going to carbon-fiber wrap the air intake as well.. eventually.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Didn't found any professional car wrapper here in my neighborhood who could wrap the tank in one piece :(

But I don't care because the material is a 3D camouflage optics so the edge is nearly invisible :eek:k:

·
Registered
2017 Prambler
552 Posts
Here also some pics from my second try a couple of weeks ago.

It's again 3M 1380.
It was the first time I tried 3M knifeless tape.

Wow Tomaso, that came out really nice. That's what I want to do someday on my aluminum tank.

Best,
-Tim

·
Registered
250 Posts
Great work Marc!

Would you re-post the pics of your front fork job (on OP)?
I want to do my forks in carbon, as I am bored with my standard bling/gold forks. Would you use heatgun on forks? I am little worried about the seals, but it would be great to heat-shrink the material on bulging parts.

161 - 180 of 205 Posts