BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can’t decide whether to go for a Wunderlich centre stand to make cleaning and wheel removal easier, at the risk of spoiling the look. Or buy a paddock stand instead. Any advice greatfully accepted.

·
Registered
189 Posts
+1 for Cropduster's comment.
Could be wrong, but I recall reading that some were having issues getting the bike on a centre stand

"four wheels good, two wheels better"

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Advantage for the center stand is the ability to do roadside service, like plugging a flat will be much easier. And by weighting or securing the bike you can pull either front or rear wheels. And it's small. Do you have room in your garage for the paddock stand for all the time you're not using it?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the Pitbull rear stand and use it every time I work on my bike. Oil changes are easy. It allows me to change out my 19" front wheel with a street tire for a 21" front wheel with a knobby. For the rear, there is a DIY moto shop in the area that I go to - I use a wheel chock to secure the front, a jack underneath the engine to jack it up, and a tire changing machine to swap tires. I would never change the tires on this bike with tire irons unless I was stuck in the middle of nowhere and absolutely had to, and even then, I better have a spare tire with me!

I'm not sure a center stand makes plugging a tire easier. Guys on sport bikes have been plugging tires on the side of the road without center stands for ages. If you're running tubes and you're off-road and you want to pull the tube out to patch it - sure. But is anyone running tubes in their R9T?

The Pitbull stand is great because it's one-armed, so it comes apart and stores flat on a single shelf in the garage. You can tighten and untighten all of the bolts that are used to assemble it by hand and it keeps the bike upright, centered, with the rear wheel lifted. I love it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I wouldn't say "most", the classics have spokes that need tubes but the others are mostly cast wheels on the pure and racer or tubeless spokes on the scrambler/urban. Not that it matters, in all my years riding i have yet to see anyone actually pull a wheel from bike, use levers on the tyre, remove the tube, patch it, re install it, inflate it and put the wheel back on the bike..... ever.
Tubes suck, but if you get a flat with one it's usually a recovery job...

As for storing the stand? why would you? park the bike on it when it's in the garage, keeps it upright, the bike takes up less room, is less prone to falling over and when you're out on the bike the stand has all the room the bike would take up to sit in.

centre stands are archaic, i get it on a GS ( a proper one) where you might want to be Charlie Boorman and ride off into the sunset, no recovery available there (although they did have a few cars following them everywhere but i digress....) but in the real world where 99% of GSA's or GS Rallye's rarely venture off road at all let alone into lonesome wilderness it seems like added weight and not much else, of course, it's not on my bike, and that's all that really matters to me, go hard with one if you think you need it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Becker-technik stand? Best of both worlds. Detachable centre stand means you can get the wheels up when you need to, can store the bike upright and don't have the weight on the bike when you are riding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Advantage for the center stand is the ability to do roadside service, like plugging a flat will be much easier. And by weighting or securing the bike you can pull either front or rear wheels. And it's small. Do you have room in your garage for the paddock stand for all the time you're not using it?
I have a paddock stand, bought for a Ducati S4R ( no facility for centre stand). Unfortunately, even if I acquired the right size spigot, it’s ‘ wrong handed’.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the Pitbull rear stand and use it every time I work on my bike. Oil changes are easy. It allows me to change out my 19" front wheel with a street tire for a 21" front wheel with a knobby. For the rear, there is a DIY moto shop in the area that I go to - I use a wheel chock to secure the front, a jack underneath the engine to jack it up, and a tire changing machine to swap tires. I would never change the tires on this bike with tire irons unless I was stuck in the middle of nowhere and absolutely had to, and even then, I better have a spare tire with me!

I'm not sure a center stand makes plugging a tire easier. Guys on sport bikes have been plugging tires on the side of the road without center stands for ages. If you're running tubes and you're off-road and you want to pull the tube out to patch it - sure. But is anyone running tubes in their R9T?

The Pitbull stand is great because it's one-armed, so it comes apart and stores flat on a single shelf in the garage. You can tighten and untighten all of the bolts that are used to assemble it by hand and it keeps the bike upright, centered, with the rear wheel lifted. I love it.
Sounds handy. And yes I am running tubes unless I decide on a new wheel set.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Becker-technik stand? Best of both worlds. Detachable centre stand means you can get the wheels up when you need to, can store the bike upright and don't have the weight on the bike when you are riding.

[/QUO

A possible. Looks neat. Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My bad about the spoked wheels - didn't realize the Classic used wheels that required tubes. I guess I thought it used the same tubeless spoked wheels that the Scrambler and UGS used. It's a mystery to me why they went that direction...probably cost...

But I love that Becker-Technik contraption, I might have to get one of those.

·
Registered
135 Posts
There is nothing wrong with tube tyres, in fact you can patch tubes and nothing to patch when you tear a tubeless... Only new tyre is an option then. But also tubes in side tyres make more sturdy setup and a cool retro vibe. I love the spoked rims on my Roadster I made them look even more cool with 4 low profile 9t stickers, mat white and gold on black. It really pop's and looks quite unique. I wouldn't put alloys on my 9T even if they're 1000€ per rim. Just don't fit, it makes the bike ugly in my perception.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You don't need alloy rims for tubeless tyres. Mine has spoked wheels but tubeless. They run lighter and cooler, and are easier to plug without needing the tyre taken off.

·
Super Moderator
3,298 Posts
No more discussion on tube/tubeless tyres thanks, . . . back on topic! ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Center stands are for bikes with chains that might need oiling on a trip. Paddock stands for a shaft drive.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Center stands rule.

They make service easier, especially on the road, and packing and loading much easier (the duffel bag slide when a bike is on the side stand is no one’s favorite). They don’t weigh much, don’t take up valuable garage space, and are always there without the fuss and annoyance of so many other stands. Plus, at least historically, boxers burn less oil when parked fully upright and take up less space in the garage.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts