BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought i'd share this here.

Today installed a set of auxilary lights (spotlights) on my also yesterday installed Sw motech crashbars.

Figured if Wunderlich charges 320 euro's for an single auxilary light i can do better..

Total cost of these two lights from Louis.de ; 70 euro's .. and 15 euro's in wires/relay etc.

Pictures of the installation:

Location of the switch and wires running over the crashbar

Trigger and mass wires hooked up to the BMW navigation plug

Positive for the Lights with Fuse to the Relay

All ground wires together (also from the navigation power)

Relay under the seat

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the write up. Are they also switched (can you manually turn them on or off)? Or are they always on when the GPS power source is powered?
I split the navigation plug signal wire into two wires.. one goes directly to the GPS, the other one to the relay for the lights.
The BMW mechanic told me this plug was fused already. When the bike is turned on the GPS comes on.. but i can switch the lights on and off with the switch.

I do still want to tidy up that Relay under the seat by installing a micro relay with nicer plugs...

·
Registered
437 Posts
I split the navigation plug signal wire into two wires.. one goes directly to the GPS, the other one to the relay for the lights.
The BMW mechanic told me this plug was fused already. When the bike is turned on the GPS comes on.. but i can switch the lights on and off with the switch.

I do still want to tidy up that Relay under the seat by installing a micro relay with nicer plugs...
A tidy switch that doesn’t look cobbled is one of the challenges. What did you end up using? Way back when, for the original airheads, BMW sold a tidy little bracket for police bikes that hung below the handlebar controls. It was out of sight, but easy to reach with a thumb.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A tidy switch that doesn’t look cobbled is one of the challenges. What did you end up using? Way back when, for the original airheads, BMW sold a tidy little bracket for police bikes that hung below the handlebar controls. It was out of sight, but easy to reach with a thumb.
I ended up using a small push button waterproof switch with an aluminium housing. Normaly it would mount on the handlebars.. but i noticed an unused hole left on the bike behind the air intake.. it's easy to reach if you know where it is.. if you didnt know there was a switch.. u would not find it.

Link to the switch;

·
Registered
437 Posts
I recently added a similar setup as you did, but went to LED version. I really didnt bother to lift the tank, so the wiring is slightly messy. View attachment 135846
Nice!
Which lights are those?

I haven’t settled on my priority: conspicuity or illumination at night, and so haven’t settled on lights. I live in an urban area and blinding the locals isn’t an option.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice!
Which lights are those?

I haven’t settled on my priority: conspicuity or illumination at night, and so haven’t settled on lights. I live in an urban area and blinding the locals isn’t an option.
They are just standard "H3 foglights" .. i dont know or you can order these there;

A link anyway;

The lights i put in are "H3 Powertec Retro yellow"

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nice!
Which lights are those?

This is Denali D4, I saw many Africa Twin or GS owners have them. This is ridiculously bright and the range of the light is wide and far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts