BMW NineT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts
Wait - so you installed the (super expensive and pretty) Massmoto comeback 2 in 1, which is loud as hell, and now you’re wearing earplugs, or, even better, noise cancelling AirPods to avoid the tinnitus? Hmmm... So the target is to give everyone else tinnitus, but avoid it yourself? Happy new Year!

Well you got it wrong.

The exhaust is within spec, euro 4 with cat and db killer on. So no, others don't get tinitus from my exhaust. Point of this thread was to help anyone with ear issues. The way you ride is what affects how loud your exhaust sounds.

Happy New Year to you too!

Just teasing you😉 I’ve heard that exhaust without anything inside over here in Texas, where that still say “loud pipes save lives” and other crazy stuff. Enjoy!

A pair of 20€ Alpine motorcycle earplugs is super effective and a lot cheaper (and created to drop only the wind noise, not traffic, etc) 😅
I also own airpods pro, but for regular use. Pretty sure they will hurt my ears with the helmet on.

Have been riding in plain old foam earplugs for years. Nothing fancy but keeps the noise to a tolerable and safe level. Highly recommended.

And...speaking of safety, don’t attach your phone to your bike in any manner when riding. If the worst occurs and you get injured, you don’t want your phone 200 meters away on your bike or in a tank bag...or thrown clear. Keep it in a zipped pocket so it’s accessible.

Have been riding in plain old foam earplugs for years. Nothing fancy but keeps the noise to a tolerable and safe level. Highly recommended.

And...speaking of safety, don’t attach your phone to your bike in any manner when riding. If the worst occurs and you get injured, you don’t want your phone 200 meters away on your bike or in a tank bag...or thrown clear. Keep it in a zipped pocket so it’s accessible.
Good advice, always in my jacket.

I'm always very careful about riding safety, I wear full gear, including a fantastic Alpinestars TechAir 5 airbag jacket. I never had such thoughts and you made me think... so I just ordered a Zumo navigator for the bike and will be putting the phone in my pocket.

Good advice!

For me expensive earplugs would be a waste of money because I'm bound to lose one or both..
I use the yellow squashy one's.
When used a few times I just put them into a laundry net and when I've accumulated a dozen or so pairs just put them in the washing machine and presto, they're like new again.
They can usually retain their sound insulation until about three washes.
I just bought a box of 150 pairs for £30 which will last me years

Yeah I use disposables.......I bought a box of 250 pairs of Silverline foam plugs for just under £18 to the door off ebay about five years ago. Comfy when in and decent sound reduction.

Already got tinnitus from too many heavy rock/metal gigs.......but started using them when racing and been using them ever since to stop it getting any worse. Like others, I can't ride without them nowadays.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
The problems with both disposables and with noise cancelling tech is it cuts all noise. Once I found some comfy sets of reusables that were designed for concerts or motorsports it was a big difference. I could still easily hear music, horns, sirens and such but wind and exhaust noise was completely gone.

To each their own. I personally don't like all noise being cut, it makes me feel too isolated and I also don't like the idea of disposables.

In the recent edition of the BMWMOA magazine there was an article on earplugs. After reading the article I decided to purchase nonoise plugs. They have several kinds and I purchased the ones for motorsports and shooting. I have not tested the motorsport ones yet, but have the shooting ones. The shooting ones were very good while doing Shooting Clays, a shotgun shooting sport. Sort of like golf, except the targets break apart. I used regular electronic earmuffs before, but they get knocked off a bit while shooting. I will wear them under my electronic muffs while shooting high power rifle competitions. Based on my shooting experience I postulate similar results on the bike.

I've been using Earpeace and am reasonably happy with them. I have trouble putting the helmet on without disturbing their placement in my ears. Twice the've managed to be pushed in further than removing with my fingers would allow. Love how they work when properly positioned, but that's been very hit or miss for me.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
"Recently, I've noticed that the engine sound has gotten louder and a bit rougher.. Any recommendations?"

What kind of earplugs do you wear? A box of these usually lasts me ~3 years, ymmv - M

Ear plugs...

Respectfully others above have mentioned foamies and like before I'll mention that they aren't reusable and that I find that they cut all sound and make it so I can't hear things I want to.

I've tried one or two other reusables since I posted this and I'll get around to finding links and posting comments soon.

I used to own a pair of custom molded ear plugs with some buds built in. They blocked unwanted sound and let me listen to tunes at the same time. The Co. I used has gone out of business but there are plenty of others out there.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
When the motorcycle show used to go to DC regularly there was always a company that did custom molded ear protection with or without buds built in and I always thought about getting a set. Then the pandemic happened and the motorcycle shows barely happen. It seemed like a good idea though.

I liked them. They fit well of course, and lasted for basically ever as ear plugs. A speaker broke after several years, as a wire got stressed. I'd imagine they could be bluetooth now, or better wires. edit: they don't last forever though, as our ears keep growing. They eventually started letting noise in.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts