BMW NineT Forum banner

761 - 780 of 794 Posts

·
Registered
Urban G/S
58 Posts
I respectfully disagree about the 'comparable performance' comment.

Here's why.....

I had two instances of leaking forks seals on the standard Sachs forks (no doubt caused by my persistent very hard braking), both times sorted under warranty.

Being fed-up with this issue, and only expecting for it to happen yet again (and persistantly again and again after that) I then did some researching about whether to go for the Ohlins cartridge kit or the complete Ohlins forks.
I was given advice from a UK supplier that the quality, and especially the tolerances, of the stock forks was poor, and that simply fitting cartridge kits into those forks will greatly improve the ride, but won't improve on the fork material quality and manufacturing tolerance issues. Obvious really!
It was explained that the replacement Ohlins forks are vastly superior in those areas, and the difference will be instantly noticed even when fitting the forks, let alone riding on them......so much so that when nipping up the axle clamps the better machining on the Ohlins means the screws will go from loose to tight in an instant....rather than the screws getting slowly progressively tighter as you crank on the torque with the Sachs.
I did think this was just sales bullshit dished out in an effort to sell me the more expensive (and more likely profitable) full forks rather than the cheaper cartridge kits. However, I managed to negotiate a huge discount off the full forks so I went with those.

When the Ohlins forks arrived, the vastly higher quality over the Sachs units was instantly visually evident.....but then further proven when I fitted the forks and found that what I was told about the axle clamp tolerances was absolutely true......no squidgy feeling when tightening, unlike the stock items. The advice I'd been offered was spot-on!

Obviously ride quality and control is now head and shoulders over the stock forks, but not only in the damping compartment, but also better fork rigidity under braking, and more side flex when turning into a corner......and my late braking fork seal popping antics no longer cause an issue.........but if I'd opted for the cartridge inserts only to drop into the sloppy Sachs forks, I very much doubt that would be the case, and I'd still be popping the OE forks seals, and not having the extra benefits the full Ohlins forks provide.

Owners who choose to go for cartridge inserts (of any brand) may well be perfectly happy with their choice, and that's great. But if you ride hard then the full replacement fork does offer much better performance over cartridges........please don't fall into the trap of thinking you are getting the same for less money by fitting inserts. If you've never experienced the full forks you really don't know how much better they are in every respect.

Replacement forks are expensive for a reason.......and it most certainly isn't just coz of the extra bling or kudos that having the Ohlins name on them brings.
Some great insights that hadn't occurred to me when thinking about upgrading the front. Thanks for sharing (y)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You're very welcome Mr @The Hack.

Hopefully my post is all about what this fine forum is for.......sharing info, experiences and opinions etc etc.

I for one very much enjoy reading the perspectives of others, even if those opinons don't mirror my own, because I accept that we are all different, so everyone has, and is entitled to, a point of view which is equally valid as the next IMHO.

Now back on topic to keep dem pesky modyeraturs happy!!;) (only joking Guys!!)

If in the future I was contemplating a front suspenders upgrade on another brand of bike, I would deffo be errring towards a full fork swap rather than an insert kit, if there indeed was a choice. If not, and the only option was cartridges, then I'd be happy to go with those as they are bound to be a fantastic improvement over the crap stock internals, like what we have in the case of the R nineT.

·
Registered
2020 BMW R nineT/5; 2019 BMW K1600GT; 2006 BMW K1200S
14 Posts
You're very welcome Mr @The Hack.

Hopefully my post is all about what this fine forum is for.......sharing info, experiences and opinions etc etc.

I for one very much enjoy reading the perspectives of others, even if those opinons don't mirror my own, because I accept that we are all different, so everyone has, and is entitled to, a point of view which is equally valid as the next IMHO.

Now back on topic to keep dem pesky modyeraturs happy!!;) (only joking Guys!!)

If in the future I was contemplating a front suspenders upgrade on another brand of bike, I would deffo be errring towards a full fork swap rather than an insert kit, if there indeed was a choice. If not, and the only option was cartridges, then I'd be happy to go with those as they are bound to be a fantastic improvement over the crap stock internals, like what we have in the case of the R nineT.
I’m with you on enjoying the different opinions, including the ones that say I’m wrong. Makes for a more interesting world, and hobby!

For those of us who really and truly do want a retro-looking bike (fork gaiters and standard, non-inverted forks), we don’t have the ultra-premium full-forks option, and have to go cartridges. This is a nostalgia bike for me; it‘s an additional, add-on bike to the stable and won’t have high mileage; I’ll never track it; and so that choice was easy for me.

But I will say that the deficiencies of the “upgraded” shocks on the Classic/roadster were a, ahem, shock to me, and if I was thinking of that route, I might have gone Thruxton RS with a handlebar kit to get me out of a near-race posture, as Triumph saw fit to include Öhlins rear and premium Showa forks on the front (they swear they tested Öhlins forks, and the Showas did better in testing, but I’m skeptical).

The R nineT Classic DOES have some bits that are more premium than the Trumpet (for one example, the front alum. fender brackets), but as a huge BMW fan, it was a bit disappointing to read all the posts here about the Mother Ship beancounters choosing suspension as the place to save money on the top-of-the-model bike. It also says they think their market research shows their typical R nineT Classic customer just wants to look the part and won’t know the difference, which is a bit insulting.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
For those of us who really and truly do want a retro-looking bike (fork gaiters and standard, non-inverted forks), we don’t have the ultra-premium full-forks option, and have to go cartridges.
Ohlins do make complete replacement forks for the models that have RWU units.

I'm fully aware our choice of bike isn't the latest race weapon, but reason this........but if you look at various motorcycle racing disciplines....MotoGP, WSBK, BSB etc etc you see loads of mainly Ohlins, some Showa, and a few *********** suspensions set-ups being used.

Even the factory BMW WSBK team have ditched Sachs and gone Ohlins. I think that speaks volumes, and is an admission they know it's not good enough.

In fact, I'm not aware of anyone running Sachs suspension at the highest level, but I'm willing to be corrected if anyone knows otherwise.

Reactions: dobervol

·
Registered
2014 BMW R NineT
46 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm Nicola from Milan, Italy.

I have a 2014 R NineT and the things that bothered me since the first day are the suspensions. Both the front and the rear. Because of missing time and family commitments I only did 10K Km on it but from now on I hope I’ll have more time to enjoy it and I want to do it with better suspensions.

Next month I would like to switch to full Ohlins. I would not like to mix colors so the solutions seems to be gold forks (FGRT 218) and gold shock (BM 440) or black forks (FGRT 216) and black shock (BM 490 "Blackline" STX 46 Blackline BM 490 - Öhlins DTC).

I have many doubts. In the photos I really like the black forks but unfortunately I have never seen them in person. Is there any of you who chose the black forks and if you could go back would you buy it back in gold?

I also thought that the BM 490 shock was identical to the BM440, only anodised in black but it isn’t. It’s an STX 46 with the external reservoir but it has not the hydraulic preload control! I almost always travel alone but when my wife comes with me being able to vary the preload in a simple way is a plus.

If you had to choose the black forks you would you consider the BM 490 despite the lack of hydraulic preload?

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 BMW R NineT
46 Posts
The suspension expert I turned to, who is a Andreani “Gold Partner”, offered me two solutions:

1) Base: keep my forks, put two Andreani Misano cartridges in them and replace the OEM shock absorber with the Ohlins BM 440.

2) Top: Full Ohlins: FGRT 216 / FGRT 218 forks + BM 440 / BM 490 shock absorber.

The cost of solution #2 is roughly double the cost of solution #1. He says that for normal street use I would hardly notice a huge difference between the two solutions and with both of them there is an abyss compared to the crappy stock suspensions.

Despite the potential greater gain for him, he strongly advised against choosing the Ohlins cartridge (FKS 509) as an intermediate solution. The cost of the Ohlins cartdriges, considering the springs, would be almost the double compared to the Andreani Misano cartridge and at this point one should opt for the complete forks with all the extra benefits.

I guess he has a valid point: get the most benefits for money spent with solution #1 or go straight for the top with solution #2 being honest to yourself to not expect the double of the performance because you are going to spend the double of money.

But you remove the "What If I had chosen the complete fork......"

I'm choosing #2. He's closed for holidays so I have 15 days left to think about "gold" or "black" Ohlins....

·
Registered
32 Posts
The only difference between BM652 and BM650 is how you adjust the spring preload adjustment?
One is mechanical and the other one is hydraulic?
If I only need to setup the shock one time and Im done, the BM652 makes more sense right?
I have the 650 and it was setup at the race shop 5 months ago for my weight. Haven't touched it since.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'm choosing #2.
I think you are making a wise choice @Nico9T

Each to their own and all that.......but IMHO if you choose a lesser option there is always the potential to later think "I wish I'd spent the extra and gone for the higher spec"........but if you go for the top spec option in the first place, then there isn't the risk for regret.

Gone Cheap.....then been disappointed and wished I'd spent a bit more a number of times in my life.

·
Registered
2014 BMW R NineT
46 Posts
I think you are making a wise choice @Nico9T

Each to their own and all that.......but IMHO if you choose a lesser option there is always the potential to later think "I wish I'd spent the extra and gone for the higher spec"........but if you go for the top spec option in the first place, then there isn't the risk for regret.

Gone Cheap.....then been disappointed and wished I'd spent a bit more a number of times in my life.

Great point @Gambo916, this is really a great point and one of my main concerns when I think about cartridges. I have seen posts of people complaining about strange noises with cartridges, others say they're perfect. Maybe guys with problems did something wrong when they put them in their forks, I don't know.

My hardware will be put and set on the bike by an Ohlins authorised dealer so I will remove myself as a potential problem. But If I'd chose the cartridges and then something pisses me off the question "What if went for the complete fork" would torture me.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
the question "What if went for the complete fork" would torture me.
EXACTAMUNDO Mr Nico9T

As I've said previously one here, the quality of the Ohlins forks far far surpasses that of the stock Sachs items.....to me it doesn't make good sense to attempt to fit an upgrade to something that isn't top notch in the first place.

Also I mentioned about popping fork seals in the Sachs forks......I'm pretty sure that would have only continued to happen had I retained them and fitted cartridges.

Reactions: Dauphinais

·
Registered
456 Posts
Were you able to raise the front just with inserts with the stock forks?
No, I had the Andreanni raised fork inserts installed into the stock fork tubes by a shop in California. It's the 50mm raised fork internals sold on Unit Garage. With the correct springs for my weight with gear, the bike rides as it should, absorbes all bumps in the road or trails, and can handle pretty much anything you can throw at it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
On my 2019 classic R9T I found the rear shock far too hard a ride on the bumpy roads around here and also that I was getting pins and needles in my hands. I had the front cartridge changed and replacement rear shock - both Ohlins, and the difference is fantastic. The rear is far more compliant and doesn't kick me out of the seat - much better over bumps and feels far more secure. The difference at the front is not as dramatic but still a real improvement. I do think the stock items should be better - particularly on a bike which I suspect most don't ride that hard. Mine is a keeper so I justified the cost that way, but it is a big % of the overall value of the bike....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Question for y'all. I'm pricing a new Ohlins setup for my 2018 R9T scrambler and on the wunderlich they give these options for "what kind of riding" and I'm really curious what the difference is, and more to the point how will they spring it differently per each option. I'm guessing as it goes to from sport to off-road it gets more plush, which makes me question if that's the direction I want. I want to ride fast on street, but might want it more plush that what someone who tracks a bike wants.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Question for y'all. I'm pricing a new Ohlins setup for my 2018 R9T scrambler and on the wunderlich they give these options for "what kind of riding" and I'm really curious what the difference is, and more to the point how will they spring it differently per each option. I'm guessing as it goes to from sport to off-road it gets more plush, which makes me question if that's the direction I want. I want to ride fast on street, but might want it more plush that what someone who tracks a bike wants.
View attachment 137808
I bought an Ohlins shock (and Andreani fork inserts) from Unit Garage, and I seem to recall they only asked if I was primarily riding road or off-road. I selected road. I'm 160 lbs. I've found that the suspension parts I got are set up quite firm - I have the preload backed right off. I think in general Ohlins is known to be on the firm side - that's my impression anyway. I really like the ride now, but I would classify it as quite sporty, and I don't feel that I have the adjustability to make it plusher, so it would be better if I was in the middle of the adjustment range with the ride I have, not at one end. Would it be better if the spring rating was one degree lower? Not sure - maybe the next lower spring would be too soft. I guess that's the issue with selecting the appropriate spring. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Jonnydee, appreciate your input.

I did end up just calling Wunderlich and talking to their suspension tech, in short what he said was that those 5 different "riding styles" would effect what the preload is set to when they assemble the shock. Since that is adjustable it shouldn't really matter, especially since I'm eyeing the premium shock which has the knob adjuster.

I also asked if they were planning on having any "Black Friday Deals" on Ohlins and he said they got word this morning that Ohlins is not running a sale this year, which is disappointing since I have been holding out on buying for a sale. I will wait till next week and see what happens, if I can't get a deal then I may end up waiting till next year.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Jonnydee, appreciate your input.

I did end up just calling Wunderlich and talking to their suspension tech, in short what he said was that those 5 different "riding styles" would effect what the preload is set to when they assemble the shock. Since that is adjustable it shouldn't really matter, especially since I'm eyeing the premium shock which has the knob adjuster.

I also asked if they were planning on having any "Black Friday Deals" on Ohlins and he said they got word this morning that Ohlins is not running a sale this year, which is disappointing since I have been holding out on buying for a sale. I will wait till next week and see what happens, if I can't get a deal then I may end up waiting till next year.
No problem - it would be interesting to know what he meant by saying that it affects what the preload is "set to". If he's saying that you would get the same spring and same range of adjustment of preload regardless of the riding style you select, then yes I agree with you. You can adjust it anyway. But if they "preset" the pre-load, and you effectively get a different range of adjustment with the pre-load adjuster depending on your riding style, then it could have a significant effect. Like I said, I find myself at the far end of my adjustment range just to get a ride that is firm but compliant enough. I have no-where to go but firmer, and I wouldn't want it any firmer. So I effectively have no adjustment, except for if I put a lot of extra weight on the bike like luggage or a passenger, I might want to increase the pre-load.

·
Registered
35 Posts
But if they "preset" the pre-load, and you effectively get a different range of adjustment with the pre-load adjuster depending on your riding style, then it could have a significant effect.
Precisely my question. He did say my choice for that would not effect what spring or sag position they set it to, that is all based on rider weight. He said, "I would just chose fast street riding option and adjust preload from there"

Jonny, I'm no expert on the tuning of this shock (yet, lol) but if it is really too stiff for you couldn't you have it rebuilt (or DYI if you can) with a softer spring?

The tech also noted that for every 25lbs you add it's one full turn on the preload dial, don't take my word, check the manuals specs. But if you are at the bottom end of that adjustment, I would think a different spring would get you that middle-ground of adjustment your looking for.

·
Premium Member
2018 R Nine T Pure
109 Posts
Has anyone done this conversion on their R9T Pure? The OHLINS USD fork kit and unit garage plates and feet?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Has anyone done this conversion on their R9T Pure? The OHLINS USD fork kit and unit garage plates and feet?

View attachment 138594
That is a pricey upgrade on a Pure, if you wanted USD forks why didn't you just buy the standard RnineT? If you are looking to improve performance you can upgrade the internals of your existing forks - I don't think you'd see any appreciable difference in performance installing these forks as opposed to an Ohlins fork cartridge kit for your forks. There are also other manufacturers of fork cartridges - i bought the Andreani kit from Unit Garage and it is an amazing improvement over stock. Again, I think you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference between an Ohlins cartridge and an Andreani cartridge.

·
Premium Member
2018 R Nine T Pure
109 Posts
That is a pricey upgrade on a Pure, if you wanted USD forks why didn't you just buy the standard RnineT? If you are looking to improve performance you can upgrade the internals of your existing forks - I don't think you'd see any appreciable difference in performance installing these forks as opposed to an Ohlins fork cartridge kit for your forks. There are also other manufacturers of fork cartridges - i bought the Andreani kit from Unit Garage and it is an amazing improvement over stock. Again, I think you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference between an Ohlins cartridge and an Andreani cartridge.
@Jonnydee, yes you are correct on the issue of it being pricey. However, for the price that I got the Pure for, I couldn’t turn it down. Also Classics are scarce in this neck of the woods. Buying new was not an option.
Regarding inserts, I have read all kinds of information with on both sides of pro and con. I’m kind of just “kicking the tires” so to speak to see what is out there and peoples options and experiences.

I like what on guy did here with his pure, by changing out the whole front suspension. My only two issues with it is trying to figure out which friggen wheel is compatible beforehand and sourcing a triple tree that is not a king’s ransom.

Paulie

761 - 780 of 794 Posts