BMW NineT Forum banner

121 - 140 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
@Captain, are you saying that the black connector in my photo is the satnav one? It’s not the same type as the white connector in my other photo....

·
Registered
18 Posts
The white connector in my photo is attached to my satnav, the black connector is one that was zip tied on my R nine T.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All sorted now, I realise that the remaining tie wrap on the vertical tube was holding the satnav connector, thsnks

·
Registered
137 Posts
"Search this thread" keeps giving me "Database Error" so apologies if this has been covered before...

I need a switched 12V source for my AEM wideband sensor. AFAIK this can draw up to 5A when the sensor is heating up (although the bench test video I found said max 1.5A).
I assume this will overload the "satnav accessory socket"? Evidence above suggests this has quite a low current limit?
Any idea where am I most likely to find a higher capacity switched Ign feed, pref. 10A fused?
Thanks!

·
Registered
445 Posts
"Search this thread" keeps giving me "Database Error" so apologies if this has been covered before...

I need a switched 12V source for my AEM wideband sensor. AFAIK this can draw up to 5A when the sensor is heating up (although the bench test video I found said max 1.5A).
I assume this will overload the "satnav accessory socket"? Evidence above suggests this has quite a low current limit?
Any idea where am I most likely to find a higher capacity switched Ign feed, pref. 10A fused?
Thanks!
You could use the GPS accessory socket, or other switched point to trigger a relay direct to the battery, fused how you like.
The accessory socket and GPS plug are both rated for 5A max.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I've done a search, and i can't believe i'm the first to ask this so my apologies, but...

Is there a cord i can use to charge my iPhone that plugs into the accessory socket or, preferably, the GPS 12v plug under the LHS of the tank?

Cheers
Paul.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've done a search, and i can't believe i'm the first to ask this so my apologies, but...

Is there a cord i can use to charge my iPhone that plugs into the accessory socket or, preferably, the GPS 12v plug under the LHS of the tank?

Cheers
Paul.
There is a small gizmo you can buy that plugs into the accessory plig that has 2 usb ports. Use your regular charge cord from your phone.

·
Registered
599 Posts
There is a small gizmo you can buy that plugs into the accessory plig that has 2 usb ports. Use your regular charge cord from your phone.
cheers, is is a special size for the accessory port?

I did think about this as an option, and it's likely my only choice but was hoping to use the GPS plug so it's more permanent and tucked away as well as more waterproof

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,404 Posts
cheers, is is a special size for the accessory port?
I've used Powerlet plugs that lock in very snugly.
They have various plugs with accessory leads ready to go that you could tuck away neatly. I used a 90deg plug that didn't stick out very far.

If you still want to utilise the GPS socket, maybe get one of their battery harness's, and doctor it to wire into a suitable plug to fit the GPS power outlet.

·
Registered
599 Posts

went with this from BMW, just figuring out how to hide it now, but it looks like it will do the job fine.

Thanks!

·
Registered
599 Posts
So i bought the BMW converter which plugs into the DIN socket primarily to power my phone, Australia is massive and there's a lot of distance between towers so around town it's not an issue but when i'm out exploring my phone runs out of charge connecting to towers etc.
I wanted to be able to see Waze as well because the fuzz are red hot and any help with knowing where they're hiding is a good thing!
So i bought a QuadLock to mount it, I still can see my Gauges fine and i get Waze (with excellent Nav as well as cop alerts) , Bluetooth music and calls if i want them as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just thought I'd add to this thread as I'd not seen mentioned an answer to a query I had.
I wanted to add a set of LED lights that came on with my high beam rather than a separate switch. For my
GSA this was achieved with a Hex EZ-Can but there isn't one for the R9T (except a partially functional k1600 unit). Back to basics then for me!

This meant I went back to the method I've used on older bikes by using a relay and tapping into the high beam wiring at the bulb plug.

For those who didn't know this is the yellow wire, or the left wire as you are looking into the plug. I used this as the switched live for the relay and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just thought I'd add to this thread as I'd not seen mentioned an answer to a query I had.
I wanted to add a set of LED lights that came on with my high beam rather than a separate switch. For my
GSA this was achieved with a Hex EZ-Can but there isn't one for the R9T (except a partially functional k1600 unit). Back to basics then for me!

This meant I went back to the method I've used on older bikes by using a relay and tapping into the high beam wiring at the bulb plug.

For those who didn't know this is the yellow wire, or the left wire as you are looking into the plug. I used this as the switched live for the relay and it works perfectly.
Those lights look good on the UGS, are they Denali D4s?

I've been thinking of doing the same on my classic but I think it's a bit harder to fit into the aesthetic- I'm thinking round lights might be more suitable.

·
Registered
104 Posts
They are rigid industries D2 duallies.
If I was buying again I'd agree and go with round but I already have them and they are amazing so they've stayed!

·
Registered
254 Posts
This easy-to-access outlet would make an ideal power source for a pair of front-facing LED DRLS. Can it be used for that function? And if so, where does one obtain the plug to use with the socket. As ever, TIA...

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,404 Posts
Lawrence I have moved your post into this existing thread that may be of interest to read through.
In regards to the above plug, have a look at my post no.130 above which shows the plugs that are compatible with this socket.
You'd probably find one at the local auto parts store that would suffice.

I have run some tiny LED lights off that plug successfully. You would need to be aware/cautious of the power drawer of the lights you intend to use.

Cheers

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thank you, my Capitain!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have four things I wired into the bike to get it ready for getting Lost, first would be the GPS. BMW did indeed include the factory GPS plug, zip tied to the frame under the tank under the left side.
Since I don't run a BMW rebranded Garmin unit I just cut the plug and soldered a standard SAE plug that I have on all our bikes so I can move things around easily.

Here's the OEM GPS plug and the finished product, mine just tucks away after making the connection behind the steering head. It's switched on with the ignition and no fuses needed! Thank you CANBUS.

I mounted the Garmin Montana 600 using a
, with a 1" RAM arm, putting it centered and not obstructing the view of the gauges. All removable in 1 minute for days I don't need the GPS.

Next up is power for my HPRC hard case on the tail. I removed the BMW accessory outlet, cut the plug off and ran some new wire to the back to another SAE plug which plugs into a panel mount SAE receptacle on my box. Again, switched and fused thanks to BMW.

Here you can see the SAE plug coming from the accessory circuit.

Next up, Gerbings variable heat controller.
This one I wired directly into the battery using the Gerbings harness which has an inline fuse. I routed the harness so the fuse is hanging down in between the battery and the shock to give me access without taking the tank off.
I mounted the controller to the bracket that was used for the BMW outlet, seems to be a good out of the way yet easily reachable position for it. It's attached with 3M Dual lock.

The lead going into the jacket lives in between the tank and seat and can be pulled up when needed.

And finally I installed a standard SAE plug going directly to the battery for charging or jumping the battery ( we carry a 6' SAE to SAE wire with us to jump start if needed). It's also for my Slime Top Up mini air compressor which has a SAE plug soldered on it. (seeing a pattern here?). ;)
I have the tail hanging down on the left side frame, zip tied in place.

I think that's about it for now, so what are YOU going to wire up to your bike. :D
As some of us setup our bikes I figured a thread to share what and how we are doing it is order. If it uses power, or a mount than this is the thread to post up how you do it.
The more detail and photos the better!

Hi thank you for this post, thank to which ive located a plug see 1st photo.. on the left side under tank next to the other round chargingg point.

Im looking vonnect a usb charger to rin phone or camera see 2nd photo.

? I can hard wire to battery but as ive found your post informing me of the existing plug ,can i simply wire in a suitable socket onto my charger leads a and plug in to the bike plug to run my charger?? I am happy to go with hard wire to battery or or plug into bike.

Many thanks.

Richard.
Ps im new to the forum so not sure if this a personal message to you or out to the discussion group.

Attachments

121 - 140 of 159 Posts