BMW NineT Forum banner

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I got myself one of these Eriding Dual USB Charger 5V 2.1A with Din Hella Socket ready to go USB adapters for the power socket, and it works just fine. There are a few other pre-wired options on the same product page.

But my goal was not to permanently mount it on the bike, but rather to have it available for when I ride with the Insta360 OneX camera, since the batteries on that last for about an hour and there's room for a lot more video. I've zip tied the USB plug to one of the RAM extensions that I use to hold the camera, and I kind of thread the wire through the frame on the ride. I should probably get some velcro straps or something to make it more secure, but it works, and when I'm home everything comes off cleanly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got myself one of these Eriding Dual USB Charger 5V 2.1A with Din Hella Socket ready to go USB adapters for the power socket, and it works just fine. There are a few other pre-wired options on the same product page.

But my goal was not to permanently mount it on the bike, but rather to have it available for when I ride with the Insta360 OneX camera, since the batteries on that last for about an hour and there's room for a lot more video. I've zip tied the USB plug to one of the RAM extensions that I use to hold the camera, and I kind of thread the wire through the frame on the ride. I should probably get some velcro straps or something to make it more secure, but it works, and when I'm home everything comes off cleanly.
Hi, many thanks for sharing your information especially the RAM mount options. Id like to know if i simply need to wire the correct reciprocal plug into the bike as shown in previous photos to give the correct electrical charge to power the charger i bought? If i did this it would mean i would not have to go through the trouble of removing the petrol tank inorder to get to the negative terminal on the battery. Thank you and kind regards richard.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You don't need to wire to the battery negative, just earth to the chassis anywhere you have a decent bolt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ha, ok. That makes it easier. Ill have a look around the bike , im sure i read somewhere that there is a earth point under the seat. Cheers for that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My earth is just to the right of the positive terminals, between the plastic and the bolt. It has worked fine for my charging lead.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, thanks, I know this can be painfull spelling out the obvious ... but I've not seen this arrangement before. Please see my photo. The plastic cap with +ve labelled upon it is a hint however the other red shrink wrap to the right, is that the earthing point? And the higher proud screw to the left the +ve battery terminal?

Many thanks for your advice

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts

Hi I've just re-read your response and realised and learned what din hella plug is.... thanks that's an easy and convenient solution that could work for my occasional need for camera or GPS from the phone, I also looked up the camera you bought... it looks really good. Cheers rich.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No, they are both positive. I've marked the one I use as negative.
  • Brilliant. Thanks. I looked at that and thought it was bolted into aluminium so wondered if I could use it. Did you mount the negative terminal on top of plastic bracket conducting through the bolt to frame I guess?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I hid the cable underneath the plastic just so it was less conspicuous. Still grounded on the frame and bolt well though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi I've just re-read your response and realised and learned what din hella plug is.... thanks that's an easy and convenient solution that could work for my occasional need for camera or GPS from the phone, I also looked up the camera you bought... it looks really good. Cheers rich.
Yeah, having an extra power plug is handy. I've got three BMW bikes and they all share the same plug, so handy to put the plug on a tire pump or heated vest or whatever and just plug and play. For the highway bike I added a 2nd port wired directly to the battery so I could run gear even when the bike is off. I also bought a few extra plugs and keep them in my tool kit because they're small and I sometimes end up with new gear while I'm on a trip...

The camera is awesome, I need to use it more. I posted some sample video here, Action Camera Discussion They just came out with a new model (Insta360 OneR) which is modular with different camera options and has a tiny screen on it, so can be more like a GoPro but can also do the 360 recording and flow state post processing thing.

·
Registered
644 Posts
im dumb. please help.

for my heated vest, i attach the positive wire from the vest harness to the battery bolt directly beneath the + symbol shown on the plastic cover (which is the positive battery terminal) yes? where does the negative (other wire from the vest harness) go? on the adjacent bolt? (is that the negative battery terminal?) or somewhere else?

feel dumb for asking but i have no clue.
No that’s also another positive terminal. You can find a dozen places on the bare frame. The entire frame is ground. Try to find a good ground under a screw or bolt so you can tighten it down insuring a good connection.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi, thanks, I know this can be painfull spelling out the obvious ... but I've not seen this arrangement before. Please see my photo. The plastic cap with +ve labelled upon it is a hint however the other red shrink wrap to the right, is that the earthing point? And the higher proud screw to the left the +ve battery terminal?

Many thanks for your advice

Rich
Yeah, don't feel bad, I had the EXACT same question a couple weeks back. Seemed logical until I was disassemblying things and saw that both posts are on a continuous steel bar so clearly a positive buss.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Many thanks all. Job complete now. Ended up hard wiring usb charger to +ve terminal and earthing under plastic cradle to frame seams ok wires feed nicely out of the way under tank and seat. Thanks for additional input of which I've learnt of alternatives which I may use in the future.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Need to get a pigtail wired so I can run my electric vest, which has an SAE plug, and I don't want to give up the BMW powerlet port the R9T Pure has on the left upper side?

Battery positive and nearby ground screw? Please advise best practice.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Easy, and there and there is a lot more discussion of this in the battery tender thread.

From info in that thread here's what I did:

Under the front seat you see this at the front, near the tank:

Lift that cover off and you find the positive battery buss, one large terminal for jump starting, the other for accessory connection like you need. Both are positive You see my pigtail connection on the right:

Lastly, there are many suitable grounding points. I ended up using this point under the frame side supports, whatever they're called. I just used a small washer and sandwiched between the washer and the speed nut that is already there, snug it down and you're done. I charge through that as well.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,404 Posts
@Kid Thunder I have moved your post to this earlier thread that covers this topic.
Please have a read back through the above posts for your answer.
In saying that, there is one other power plug on the nineTs that you could access for power, usually for a GPS or USB outlet. It is tied to the frame on the LHS just behind the tank. Have a read of this thread for more info: GPS on the Nine-T Thread

An alternative is to hard wire an outlet if you need a higher power drawer.
This thread has more details on how to do that: Battery Charging/Tender Thread

141 - 159 of 159 Posts