BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
181 - 200 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hello All, I went to an authorized 3m Vinyl Wrap professional installer locally here and got a quote to get my front wheel black fender wrapped in White Aluminum 3M vinyl (which is a close silver to the Aluminum tank). He did warn me that the wrap may suffer damage from rocks or other road debris since it's close to the tire; be he'd do it anyway.

I see some on here have wrapped the front fender; can you all report on how it's been holding up long term?

·
Registered
2019 R NineT Cross wire spokes, Scrambler
73 Posts
I would like to try wrapping. My specific question deals with the three depressions in the knee-pad area.

I want to “white-out” the blue area on my Urban GS, and suspect, that I must carry a few millimeters of film beyond the depressions to ”stick” the film into the bottom of the depressions.

My questions are: am I over-thinking the adhesive properties of the film? What tool works best for stretching the film into these depressions?

I‘d welcome any guidance.
Ciao, DC

Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Vehicle Motor vehicle White Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2018 R Nine T Pure
151 Posts
I would like to try wrapping. My specific question deals with the three depressions in the knee-pad area.

I want to “white-out” the blue area on my Urban GS, and suspect, that I must carry a few millimeters of film beyond the depressions to ”stick” the film into the bottom of the depressions.

My questions are: am I over-thinking the adhesive properties of the film? What tool works best for stretching the film into these depressions?

Ciao, DC

View attachment 141900 View attachment 141899
I think you are over thinking this. I just put 3M scratch guard in that area on my bike. I just stretched it and worked into tho little indentations. No drama.

·
Registered
712 Posts

Ciao, DC

View attachment 141900 View attachment 141899
I’m considering wrapping that area for the same reason.

There are many videos on YouTube on wrapping. It’ll take heat and some tool (eg. Credit card) to stretch the film into those areas.

·
Registered
2019 R NineT Cross wire spokes, Scrambler
73 Posts
Thanks all for the prompt response. Your replies give me more enthusiasm to proceed.

Somewhere in this discussion I read that a BMW M Performance 3-color “kit” was available, and continued good quality films and true colors. However I’m not having success in tracking down a supplier. Might anyone here have a recommendation?

TIA,
DC

·
Registered
135 Posts
I ended up wrapping my cheap eBay Hump as the so called "silver" finish on it was not the best, was not reflective, and it didn't match very well with the Aluminum tank in direct sunlight.

I used 3M 1080 White Aluminum and while it's not as glossy as the tank, it still reflects the light better than before. I am happy with the outcome as it is as close of a "color" match to the Aluminum tank as you can get with a wrap.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I ended up wrapping my cheap eBay Hump as the so called "silver" finish on it was not the best, was not reflective, and it didn't match very well with the Aluminum tank in direct sunlight.

I used 3M 1080 White Aluminum and while it's not as glossy as the tank, it still reflects the light better than before. I am happy with the outcome as it is as close of a "color" match to the Aluminum tank as you can get with a wrap.

I can't see the diference...

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Yeah, that’s a really good match, @starman . Nice job!

I’m contemplating something similar, but trying to find some gray vinyl that will match the Catalano Grey of the tank on the Pure. I don’t suppose anyone has a tip on what brand and model of vinyl would match the Pure gray?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah, that’s a really good match, @starman . Nice job!

I’m contemplating something similar, but trying to find some gray vinyl that will match the Catalano Grey of the tank on the Pure. I don’t suppose anyone has a tip on what brand and model of vinyl would match the Pure gray?
Thank you. As for your grey, that's going to be quite hard to match. 3M won't have anything close to that unique color -- you're best option there is just to paint match the cowl (i'm assuming that's what you are trying to match)

EDIT: VViViD has more unique colors, perhaps they can maybe send you a sample of the Gloss Slate Grey (Grigio Telesto)

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Thank you. As for your grey, that's going to be quite hard to match. 3M won't have anything close to that unique color -- you're best option there is just to paint match the cowl (i'm assuming that's what you are trying to match)

EDIT: VViViD has more unique colors, perhaps they can maybe send you a sample of the Gloss Slate Grey (Grigio Telesto)
Funny you should say, @starman - a sample of that exact vinyl is on it’s way to me now. It’s my second sample attempt, and after this I might wonder about the “Nardo Gray” I’ve been seeing.

But then I’m thinking, as you, that the fall-back would be to take the cowl to a paint shop, or find one of those outfits that can mix paint to order and put it in a spray can (since I seem to like the DIY approach).

Anyway, thanks. I am aspiring to the unified look that you have achieved! (y)

·
Premium Member
The fleet...9T ‘classic’ F800gt, Mz Ts150, Etz250, Beneli 125 2c, TL1000s, Trx 850, Katana 250/4, X7
421 Posts
Colour schemes

As much as I like my alloy tank I do think it’s the most boring look to have. It’s just too much ‘monochrome’ and needs complimentary colours. What sort of money are Vinyl wraps or part wraps as I’m tempted this time to go down that route. I like the 719 half alloy and half dark turquoise with the gold line but I won’t spoil a brushed finish.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Replacement tank from ebay will be anywhere from $600 to $2k. Vinyl will probably be cheaper, or going with a Dakar style extra large aftermarket tank.

Grass is greenest where you water it the most. I love the look of the bare alloy tank with gold forks, black tank looks sharp too. There are times when I definitely consider trading my UGS for a "roadster".

·
Premium Member
The fleet...9T ‘classic’ F800gt, Mz Ts150, Etz250, Beneli 125 2c, TL1000s, Trx 850, Katana 250/4, X7
421 Posts
I normally would have two tank sets for ordinary bikes but yes the 9T is priced too high to do that. As my tank is alloy and mint I therefore don’t want to do something irreversible in this case but vinyl is very safe and can go back safely (I bloody hope 🙄)

·
Registered
452 Posts
We had vinyl markings on our work bikes, they peel off easily and the remaining sticky stuff wasn't a problem.
All you need is a good supplier ....

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Impressive website cheers for that. I’ve spotted them a bit back and wondered about it. They are next to metal supermarket on the A62 where I shop at.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
This one seems to be in Leeds

HG
Called in to see them this evening for a rough idea to see what’s the costs are. A two colour tank vinyl is around £270 and a single is £180-200. I can only see that being about 99% labour as vinyl will be pence. Would I do it? Well I can paint it for far less but that becomes permanent and would be a pig to flat back and polish to oem should I want it std.

181 - 200 of 205 Posts