BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have that same headlight on my bike. I got a whole half-season of riding done before half of the halo burned out. Anyone know of a cool LED headlight that lasts?
I too use to have a Amazon\eBay 7" headlight, while they may be brighter than halogen short distance, the light optics are not the best in terms of light spread\distance. It's a good budget option for city riding or if riding mostly daytime.

Below are some Genuine brand options:
  1. JW Speaker (which also manufactures LED lights for Motodemic, Indian, and Harley Daymaker)
  2. Nolden (which manufactures the LED LIghtBomb for AC Schnitzer if you live in Europe)
  3. VisionX
  4. TruckLight (the only downside with Trucklight is that it sticks too far out unless you get this adapter > Buy Bracket for Truck-Lite LED headlight | Louis motorcycle clothing and technology (they DO NOT ship to the US unfortunately)
  5. **MAYBE: The BMW R18 seems to have a 7" LED Headlight now, waiting for my local dealer to have that bike in stock so we check out the headlight assembly and wiring.
Unless you go with a Harley Day-Maker the only other reputable\genuine 7" LED headlight with a halo is by Vision X 7″ XMC Motorcycle LED Headlight – Vision X USA
JW Speaker has a version with a "half halo" but not a full one.

All others that I know of are Chinese copies.

·
Registered
2015 R NineT (Classic)
38 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Worked great connecting white and yellow. My outer ring lights up orange though. In the pictures it looks white? I wasn’t expecting that.
I just installed the same lights on my 2015 NineT by following the instructions above (connecting yellow wire from lamp to white wire from NineT), and encountered the same problem: the outer halo ring lighted up in orange :) Looked pretty cool anyway!

Changing the wiring (white wire from lamp to white wire from NineT) solved it: white outer ring! Not sure why it worked differently for some of you.

Attached a few photos before/after. Really happy so far with the quality of the lamp, especially considering the relatively low price.

·
Registered
2020 RNineT Cafe Scrambler
11 Posts
Hi Guys, new to the forum as just picked up R9t Scrambler 2020 and posted separately on this topic, but querying if lamp fits into original housing, which it obviously does.
The pics look great. Thanks

·
Registered
2015 R NineT (Classic)
38 Posts
Hi Guys, new to the forum as just picked up R9t Scrambler 2020 and posted separately on this topic, but querying if lamp fits into original housing, which it obviously does.
The pics look great. Thanks
Congrats with the new bike! For my 2015 NineT Roadster, the LedPerf light (I have Type 2, HEADMRNIT1200147WH, Round LED headlight for BMW Motorrad R Nine T - 5 year warranty) indeed fits into the original housing. Not sure if the Scrambler has the exact same housing? Also, I have installed a Unit Garage headlight cover, which makes it a reallllly tight fit 😅. Luckily, Unit Garage included an alternative longer screw to lock the housing into the headlight ring.

My experience with the LedPerf light after a few months of riding and night-time rides:
  • The light is wáy brighter and better than the original. Clearer view of the road ahead, better side-beams, and clearer view of road signs above/side
  • Better visibility of myself for other people on the road. Minor comment is that the light beam is aimed a bit too high for my liking, even though the headlight is already adjusted to the lowest position on the bike. Have not seen cars signing/complaining so far, though, so maybe it’s just about acceptable

·
Registered
1 Posts
Everything was fine. Thank you so much

Ciao Matteo, mi spieghi per cortesia in Italiano come hai fatto a risolvere il problema? Ho stessa moto e stesso ledperf type 2 ma non riesco a far andare la luce di posizione. Ho il w5w ma forse sbaglio qualcosa nel processo di connessione dei cavi. Grazie

Google Translate: Hi Matteo, please explain to me in Italian how did you solve the problem? I have the same bike and the same ledperf type 2 but I can't get the position light to go. I have the w5w but maybe I'm doing something wrong in the cable connection process. Thank you

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've ordered the Type 2, which they advise does fit the Scrambler, also the Hella clear headlight screen from Amazon Uk and just waiting to take delivery of the Wunderluch Daytona fairing with tinted sports screen, which is currently 2 weeks overdue.
Anyway, hope it all works and fits and will post a pic when finished and advise how the fitting went.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Btw Guys, j just got a call from PIAA ik, and their 530 Fog (Broad and shallow) / Drive (narrow and deep) both in white or yellow (4 lamps) range is sold in Japan as singles. They have not really tapped into the motorcycle sector, primarily aiming at off-road suv's etc, but are now willing to consider importing some to test the market.
If anyone is interested in this type of lamp, then I offered to pass on the info, so that 'management' can make a decision on whether it is worthwhile for them to develop this market. Obviously R9T owners are but one segment with the GSers being broader I would guess.
Let me know your thoughts?
(FYI, I have no commercial r/ship with PIAA)
Thanks Bluezy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congrats with the new bike! For my 2015 NineT Roadster, the LedPerf light (I have Type 2, HEADMRNIT1200147WH, Round LED headlight for BMW Motorrad R Nine T - 5 year warranty) indeed fits into the original housing. Not sure if the Scrambler has the exact same housing? Also, I have installed a Unit Garage headlight cover, which makes it a reallllly tight fit 😅. Luckily, Unit Garage included an alternative longer screw to lock the housing into the headlight ring.

My experience with the LedPerf light after a few months of riding and night-time rides:
  • The light is wáy brighter and better than the original. Clearer view of the road ahead, better side-beams, and clearer view of road signs above/side
  • Better visibility of myself for other people on the road. Minor comment is that the light beam is aimed a bit too high for my liking, even though the headlight is already adjusted to the lowest position on the bike. Have not seen cars signing/complaining so far, though, so maybe it’s just about acceptable

View attachment 141948
Bike looks great. Did you black out the forks?

·
Registered
2015 R NineT (Classic)
38 Posts
Bike looks great. Did you black out the forks?
Thanks! 😀 I actually 3M-wrapped them in “Dark Grey Aluminium” last year, so I can always revert back to gold anytime I like. It’s holding out very good so far!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks! 😀 I actually 3M-wrapped them in “Dark Grey Aluminium” last year, so I can always revert back to gold anytime I like. It’s holding out very good so far!
Oh hey - where did you get the trim ring for the headlight? I've been wanting to black mine out as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nevermind I'm an idiot you already linked it. I really wish they would ship that to the US bc I would love to pick one up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Getting the Ledperf type 2 fitted to my Scrambler and it is more domed than the standard headlight so the clear headlight protector with 4 tabs doesn't fit.
May have to go with the UG one pictured above. Bummer, as the first one arrived broken, so a lot of hassle.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just had the Ledperf type 2 fitted along with Wunderlich Daytona fairing and have difficulty in getting the lamp centralised to the fairing lamp opening, as not much leeway to alter the fairing.
Any suggestions?
Also, the lamp has misted up at the main beam. Saw one similar comment above. Is this the norm with this lamp?
Last query, is it the case, the lamp cannot be wired to have DRL only when running? I have DRL when switched on, but not running, and when running main beam also comes on.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks

21 - 33 of 33 Posts