BMW NineT Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think the triangle is the brace to hold the pipes suspended at the rear of the engine as in this pic but i dont know what the other piece would be for. Now i am wondering if they provided fitting instructions!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
hmmmmm....a lot of it should be pretty clear but come on K-speed!! it should be automatic to include either rough instructions or have a fitment video on youtube. i would say hit them up to explain what is in the box to be on the safe side....

·
Registered
143 Posts
View attachment 140749 Any idea where the two chrome pieces are to be used?
Looking at the picture where it is fitted to the bike closely, it looks like the plate with the two holes secures to the base of the engine,
And then the triangle brace attaches to the plate using the bolt hole welded to the plate,
And then the muffler attaches using the two remaining holes on the triangle brace?

If you look at the photograph clearly then that is what it looks like is shown.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I went down and took a look under mine and @Ennistymonjoe is right. the small piece looks like the replacement for the hanger used by the existing exhaust just behind the catalytic. removing those 2 torx bolts and it looks like you would use them to install this hanger. There isnt a bolt on the exhaust piece so i am not sure about how to affix it. i should have brought my phone with me to take pics.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Made some progress today. I got the stock exhaust off, the rear frame off, and the new exhaust assembled. I am still not sure how the plate and hanger are supposed to connect. I can see where the plate replaces the stock piece above the cat, but there is no current bolt that would then connect the hanger. According to K Speed, the two pieces should be connected with a bolt and shock absorber. I am emailing back and forth to understand if that is something that I pick up separate, or a piece that should've been with the exhaust. None of their product pictures show such a bolt so a little confused.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Congrats on the progress. i love the look of the R9T with the rear wheel fully exposed. such a nice line and that is one of the reasons i am looking at these pipes for myself and watching your install so closely. I couldnt figure out what type of retaining bolt was used either. I visited the bmw parts manual and there isnt a bolt listed there either. is it possible that you just fit it on the rubber mounting (#6) and it remains in place just due to friction?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't know how to upload video, so not sure how to sample the sound. That said, I am hesitant to post the sound I recorded. This thing is LOUD and the recording does not do it justice by any means! I absolutely love it, but some might find it to be too loud for their liking. It is deep, throaty, and has a nice crack when you pull the throttle (sounds like thunder and lightning). This was just what I was hoping for. Also, I am in no way mechanically inclined but managed to figure out the install even without instructions from K Speed. Feel free to reach out with any questions and I will post some additional photos once the weather clears up around here!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah....that is what it should look like! wow! what was the mounting solution? any dash errors?
No dash errors. I clipped on a Servo Buddy and all appears to be good. As for the mounting, I think what K Speed meant by "use the bolt with the shock absorber" was to use the bolt that was previously connecting the muffler to the frame, which works fine. I ended up just picking up 3 extra bolts from the local hardware store, as the ones they provided for the clamps to go around the carbon part of the muffler were pretty short. Other than that it was all super easy and intuitive

·
Registered
69 Posts
It cleans up the look of the bike so much. such a great upgrade!! how much louder is she now? thank for all the information and updates on this project. you are really making me look forward to getting the same!

·
Registered
75 Posts
It cleans up the look of the bike so much. such a great upgrade!! how much louder is she now? thank for all the information and updates on this project. you are really making me look forward to getting the same!
Scale of 1-10.....like 100! I actually jumped a little when I first pulled the throttle. If you like loud rumble, you will love it. I did ask K Speed about db killers and they said that they used to offer them but don't any longer due to customer complaints. So I may look to see if a local shop can make a removable option (maybe, but not in any hurry). Overall I am very happy with the product. It looks great, sounds just like a wanted, and lets me see that rear wheel all open.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Another nice thing was that the delivery was super quick. I ordered on a Wednesday and the package arrived the following Tuesday. No customs fees or anything. Very quick and easy

·
Registered
576 Posts
Looks good, clean and minimalist.
(those chrome clamps are a bit of an "intrusion" - just my thought)
+1 for the sound of "rumble", but ....
Here in Ontario, a number of municipalities lay out "db traps" and the traffic police routinely run "noise" campaigns. Much as I like the looks/sound, I prefer money to stay in my pocket.

Thanks for sharing.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts