BMW NineT Forum banner

661 - 680 of 703 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Unit Garage Ohlins for UGS

I searched to see if this topic has been discussed before, but could not find anything. I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate.
I am still evaluating different options to upgrade suspensions on my bike. Anyone that can report hands-on experience with this solution for the UGS?

·
Registered
101 Posts
New Ohlins Kit for the R Nine T Urban GS!!

I want to share something interesting: In my quest for the ideal suspension upgrade, yesterday I called Unit Garage in Italy and, to my surprise, I ended up speaking with one of the partners, Michiel.
We went over a couple of the existing options then he told me that they are working on a new suspension upgrade kit in collaboration with Ohlins, that will be available in a couple of configurations, raising the bike +30mm and +60mm. He mentioned the prototypes being tested "as we speak" with very promising results and and an availability in 2-3 months. I will patiently wait.

·
Registered
208 Posts
3 month ride update on the Scrambler with Ohlins BM641

Ended up adding 2 fulls turns of preload after setting SAG 1/3 of travel. This was done to help keep the shock in the mid stroke as opposed to blowing straight through and slamming the bump stop in my quest for ride comfort. I've also got the rebound damper set at +2 from recommended. Seems to be the sweet spot for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So here is the deal with the Spring rates on Ohlins shocks for the R-Nine-T. The selected springs for these models are only available in full rates. This means instead of the usual 20lb weight increments that we would custom tailor a modern sportbike with in a say a 95Nmm or 10Nmm or 105Nmm for each additional 20 pounds we are now using full rates only there is no 155Nmm between the 160Nmm Spring and the 150Nmm spring. Basically any rate over 120Nmm is full rate increments only. This means one spring rate now encompasses closer to a 40lb weight range. This much broader range of weight also makes it harder to custom tailor the ride quality to each individual riders needs. Let's face it :laugh2: everybody is a pro racer until it is time to go on a street ride and then everybody wants compliance and a smooth ride on a ridiculously bumpy road and most are willing to sacrifice agility and outright handling to get that. It comes down to a compromise and based on the actual type of use, location of use and riding style it is not always a one size fits all type deal.

That being said I doubt anyone that has tried any of the Ohlins shocks on their R-Nine-T will argue that the Ohlins shock regardless of spring rate selected is 1000 times better than the piece of crap the factory puts on it. We have dozens and dozens of customers that never even check the sag after the install and just rave about how much better the Ohlins is. Sure we have some that are constantly searching for the magical perfect set-up every time they throw a leg over the bike and never stop fiddling with the settings too, but those guys are definitely in the minority.

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
Did Unit ever come out with a raising kit?
Yes they did: https://www.unitgarage.com/special_parts/suspension_and_cooling/cartridges_fork_high_version

The lip of the stock stanchions has to be machined off in a lathe though. Looks like a much less expensive option compared to the Wunderlich kit but a little more labor intensive to install and not as high.

Indeed, Unit did come up with a product, but as this is not Ohlins product (looks like the front is Andreani) please continue this discussion elsewhere in the forum so as not to steer this thread off-topic. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I'm getting ready to place my order with my local shop for front suspension cartridge inserts. I think they are like Nix something. I think I know my answer but I want to minimize my noob-ness at the shop.

For my ohlins rear suspension I ordered 140 spring (I think it was). Do I ask for a 140 spring too on the front suspension?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi folks, I could not find any comparison with this two front cartridges.

FKS 509 NIX 30
vs
FGK 231 NIX 30

Both for 2014-2016

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Hi folks, I could not find any comparison with this two front cartridges.

FKS 509 NIX 30
vs
FGK 231 NIX 30

Both for 2014-2016
Ohlins website does not really explain it well. I would guess that the FGK 231 has a longer length, but the length of the FKS 509 is not listed. Any one with other ideas?

Part Number FKS 509
Stroke 120 mm
MSRP $ 875.00
Notes 08790-xx spring series

Part Number FGK 231
Length 741 mm
Stroke 120 mm
Spring *
MSRP $ 1,150.00
Notes 08790-xx spring series

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Here is a brief description of the FGK 231 from Wunderlich's website:
Ohlins NIX Cartridge Kit, R nine T (#FGK231) Oil and Water Cooled (1994 to present) FGK231 | BMW Wunderlich America

Öhlins NIX Cartridge Kit
For 2012 Öhlins took the classic and popular Road & Track front fork and set out an ambitious target. The result is the all new FGRT200 front fork. It doesn't matter if you are heading for a National Roadracing title or if you are taking your bike on a run on your favorite road. The new front fork will give you loads of performance, stable damping and fantastic comfort.

The new front fork features the Öhlins 30 mm Cartridge Kit inside, a winning kit in several national superbike championships. Compression and rebound adjustments are easily done with compression adjustment in one leg and rebound adjustment in the other leg. The new front fork gives a big improvement in tire feel, brake support and the general handling of the bike. The outer design has been redesigned to make this front fork even more attractive.

Features:

Larger sized baffles with stable dampening and high performance reserves
Lightweight and compact
Rebound and compression damping and spring pre-load adjustable by the operator from (top)
Easily changeable settings
More setting parts such as fork springs available
Optional fork springs of 8.0 N / mm to 10.5 N / mm ¬ (delivered with 9.0 N / mm springs)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Does anyone who has the BM-440 installed have the adjustable ride height clevis at the bottom?

I want to use this on my UGS rather than the BM-641, the overall length difference is only 6mm according to Öhlins and the height adjuster has a 10mm range so i was looking to do that.....

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Does anyone who has the BM-440 installed have the adjustable ride height clevis at the bottom?

I want to use this on my UGS rather than the BM-641, the overall length difference is only 6mm according to Öhlins and the height adjuster has a 10mm range so i was looking to do that.....
I have a BM 440 but my adjustor at the bottom is for Rebound.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a BM 440 but my adjustor at the bottom is for Rebound.
Yeah they all are, on the BM640 which is std for the UGS under the rebound knob there is a threaded adjuster for ride height, gives an extra 10mm.
Wanted to know if anyone with the BM440 has that as an option because i want the std ride height but with that shock which is 6mm shorter overall.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah they all are, on the BM640 which is std for the UGS under the rebound knob there is a threaded adjuster for ride height, gives an extra 10mm.
Wanted to know if anyone with the BM440 has that as an option because i want the std ride height but with that shock which is 6mm shorter overall.
Why would you prefer the BM440 instead of the BM640?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Mainly because It has compression damping which the BM640 doesn't.

I do like the gold finish and yellow spring as well but i don't see why Wilbers offer full adjustability and Ohlins don't on the scrambler/UGS. And i've decided to use Ohlins cartridges in the front and want the brand to match in the rear. I'll accept the BM640 if i can't have the BM440 because by all accounts it works fine and is a huge improvement over std (which wouldn't be hard frankly) but would prefer the better spec.

661 - 680 of 703 Posts