BMW NineT Forum banner

201 - 220 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought the Optimate 4 CAN bus version for my r nine T pure.
I tried to put it in CAN bus mode as described on the owner manual by connecting + and - clips together and connect to the AC supply. I left it for 15 sec or so, letting the LEDs flashing 12 times.
- The first problem is that the manual explains that when in CAN bus mode the two inferior LEDs (3 and 4) should flash together in regular intervals with the central yellow big one (8) following immediately. Mine doesn’t do that ... Well it does but the 3 top right LEDs (7, 6 and 5) are also flashing together with 3 and 4.
I tried to cycle through the Normal / CAN bus modes several times but I never managed to have the LED sequence described in the manual. Is this something that I should be concerned of ?

- Then when I connect the Optimate to the accessory socket of the Nine T nothing really happens. The power LED (#1) is bright ON (high intensity) and the bottom left LED (3) stays ON for a few seconds and then the cycling described here above resumes without any obvious changes. Also the power LED goes into low intensity.

Any thought ? Anyone can help ? Many thanks !

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,689 Posts
I have merged your post into this existing thread that discusses all things battery charging.
Please have a read back through the earlier posts for answers.
You should only need to remove the seat to install those pigtails.
You can attach the charger connector to a frame rail for easy access. I just tuck mine in the gap alongside the battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just joined this site....looking for a quick bit of advice.
Got a new optimate 4 with canbus DIN connector but getting led #3,4,5,6 & 7 flashing together about every 20 seconds suggesting a short circuit(?). Don't know where to check next? Looks like it is ok to connect the optimate to the positive post under the seat and an earthed engine bolt.....correct?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
982 Posts
Got a new optimate 4 with canbus DIN connector but getting led #3,4,5,6 & 7 flashing together about every 20 seconds suggesting a short circuit(?). Don't know where to check next? Looks like it is ok to connect the optimate to the positive post under the seat and an earthed engine bolt.....correct?
Hello

Welcome to the forum. Please consider posting an introduction. I've just IM'd you with more instructions.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,689 Posts
Looks like it is ok to connect the optimate to the positive post under the seat and an earthed engine bolt.....correct?
Yes that is correct.
Down on the RHS engine cylinder is a longer bolt head that is a post for the negative lead when jump starting.
But for charging you could just as well find an earth to the frame.

Sorry I can't help with the Optimate.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hi there.
Yes - I found the same.
I was told this was plug and play to charge from the DIN Aux power socket. Didn't work.
Had to attach to battery directly.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have the non-CANBUS Optimate Lithium TM-471 charger. I picked up the SAE to DIN/BMW adaptor. Does anyone know if this is a simple plug and play connection to charge or there some special sequel need to consider for a 2015 Classic model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,689 Posts
If I recall correctly, the port will shut down sometime after the ignition is turned off unless you have a CANBUS compatible charger.
Maybe something about how the charger talks to the on-board controller?

Someone can correct me on this if it's not accurate!

Reactions: BaldyDave

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yeah. The more I read I don’t think I have an easy plug and play setup. Probably best forgetting the DIN plug plan and stick with my current direct to battery hookup which works fine, return the adapter and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
I was going to try this in a standalone thread but let's try this here first

My 2015 classic arrived to me with a Anti-Gravity 360 Lithium battery. On arrival it was a bit weak, barely turning the bike over, but to be fair it was cold and had been that was in transit for a few days so I didn't knwo if there was an issue. It did start so I chalked it up to needing some charger love and went off and bought the Optimate lithium version charger. Been working beautifully as far as I can tell. Runs it's tests and cycles then looks to be maintainence charging. So, I am blissfully ignorantly leaving it plugged in and doing it's thing the same way I would treat a lead acid battery through our storage season.

Fast forward to last night. Not sure where I read it but I saw that charging the lithium battery at cold temperatures (said 0* and below, not sure if that was C or F) could actually cause the battery to catch fire! And that cold weather cold weather charging was verboten. A little quick research today says that temps below 32* F (0*C) are not good for these types of batteries. That they will freeze, etc. I am looking further but it's a mess of info and none yet specific to cold weather charging, just that those temp ranges can be permanently damaging to the lithium battery. We have had many days below 32* F and tonight is headed to -2* F. I have disconnected the charger for now pending a better understanding of what I am dealing with and should be doing.

So, tossing to the masses, any cold climate lithium battery users and how do you handle the cold weather with these? Are you removing them and bring them inside for the winter? I dislike this idea for many reasons. Are they a fire hazard if cold charged?

Frankly, I am new to these and am finding them a right PITA on every front. If I were buying or replacing I just don't think I would buy lithium.

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Pure 2018
23 Posts
Just joined having recently acquired a 2018 9T Pure. Shopping for a battery charger & tossing up between OPTIMATE 4 & MOTORRAD. I'd welcome members views. Can you please tell me where I find the "on board socket" referred to in the owner's manual as I don't seem to find it on the left side of the bike.

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Pure 2018
23 Posts
Now found the port!! Didn't realisae it was so far forward! Would appreciate assistance with charger choice. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Hi Hank, and welcome,
You will probably have to buy an adapter if you plan on charging (Not sure if you can?) through that silly little Din type socket.
Most people buy a charger that comes with a SAE type plug kit which you wire direct to the battery and lead the socket end hanging somewhere convenient. (Pic of mine here).

Some (Me included) put extra charging sockets on with cigarette lighter Socket and USB for phone etc. (Picture of mine, needs coloured ties changing for black, when I get round to it).
Regards, Ken. 682B6ACC-9349-44EE-B20E-A85E2607F8CC.jpeg C06E028B-DABC-411E-832D-34AAEF865345.jpeg 159D2E8B-5C34-4373-86DE-3A0B9C076F83.jpeg

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Pure 2018
23 Posts
Thanks for the welcome and for your very prompt response Ken. Your bike (what I can see if it) looks superb. I agree the weird looking port looks like it requires an adaptor. I do though appreciate your point about setting up with phone charger etc. Since going to print this afternoon I’ve found an OPTIMATE 4 through Nippy Norman’s site for 70 English Pounds plus E15 postage which comes with “..a special connector to plug directly into the accessory socket on all post 2004 BMW motorcycles” so I think I’ll run with that.
Again most grateful for your help. Hope this finds its “target” as I’m still trying to navigate my way here!!!
Cheers mate John
PS. Hope you and all 9T riders coping in these difficult Coronavirus times!

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Pure 2018
23 Posts
Thanks for the welcome and for your very prompt response Ken. Your bike (what I can see if it) looks superb. I agree the weird looking port looks like it requires an adaptor. I do though appreciate your point about setting up with phone charger etc. Since going to print this afternoon I’ve found an OPTIMATE 4 through Nippy Norman’s site for 70 English Pounds plus E15 postage which comes with “..a special connector to plug directly into the accessory socket on all post 2004 BMW motorcycles” so I think I’ll run with that.
Again most grateful for your help. Hope this finds its “target” as I’m still trying to navigate my way here!!!
Cheers mate John
PS. Hope you and all 9T riders coping in these difficult Coronavirus times!
Upon further looking at Niopy Norman’s I found a Din Plug with 2 USB outlets. Have secured both delivered for 94 pounds so happy with that. Your reference Ken to phone charging etc led me to further investigate. Clearly the increased order led to further savings. I owe you one!! Thanks Ken, Hank

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Upon further looking at Niopy Norman’s I found a Din Plug with 2 USB outlets. Have secured both delivered for 94 pounds so happy with that. Your reference Ken to phone charging etc led me to further investigate. Clearly the increased order led to further savings. I owe you one!! Thanks Ken, Hank
Can I have a link for the DIN/USB adapter, please, as the only one I can find is a twin pack for £70?!

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Pure 2018
23 Posts
Can I have a link for the DIN/USB adapter, please, as the only one I can find is a twin pack for £70?!
Hi Tony
Sorry I don’t have the tech abilities to post the link but if you go to www.nippynormans.com the charger with the adapter is the
“OPTIMATE 4.4 BMW CAN BUS GOLDLINE DUSL CHARGER WITH HOOK” and the din plug
“OPTIMATE 90 DEGREES DIN PLUG WITH 2 USB OUTLETS”
Hope you can locate
Hank

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Hi Tony
Sorry I don’t have the tech abilities to post the link but if you go to www.nippynormans.com the charger with the adapter is the
“OPTIMATE 4.4 BMW CAN BUS GOLDLINE DUSL CHARGER WITH HOOK” and the din plug
“OPTIMATE 90 DEGREES DIN PLUG WITH 2 USB OUTLETS”
Hope you can locate
Hank
Thanks - found it now. That USB adapter is going to be very useful!

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Thanks - found it now. That USB adapter is going to be very useful!
Hi guys,
Not sure if it’s me and how I use my S..t hooks, but, when I’ve used the factory DIN socket, it very easily trips out. Don’t know why, but since wiring in the lead for the battery tender and the extra cigar/ USB socket direct to the battery, things work better for me.
I know nothing, so take this info for what it cost you. It works for me.
Thanking you,Ken.
PS. No big deal if it does trip out, as it should reset itself after not long.

201 - 220 of 254 Posts