BMW NineT Forum banner

301 - 312 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
2011 R1200RT - 2015 RNineT
209 Posts
In addition to my '15 RNineT I also have an '11 R1200RT that I have a Garmin 395 Zumo GPS mounted using a factory 3 wire power point under the bars with a BMW Repair Plug 83300413585, image linked below.

I'd like to use the Zumo on the Nine T as well. Does anyone know if a 2015 NineT has this same Repair Plug point? If not is there some other switched port or am I going to need to run fused power to the battery?

Thanks!!

Image credit: MaxBMW.com

·
Administrator
12,190 Posts
Good question @Dirtmerchant and answered perfectly by @gristle

I mounted my Zumo 590 on my 2014 bike and it was easy using the repair plug and existing gps connector under the tank.

This topic has actually been quite extensively covered so I've moved it to the appropriate thread. This should give you some more pointers should you need it. Feel free to have a read through. :)

Reactions: Dirtmerchant

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good question @Dirtmerchant and answered perfectly by @gristle

I mounted my Zumo 590 on my 2014 bike and it was easy using the repair plug and existing gps connector under the tank.

This topic has actually been quite extensively covered so I've moved it to the appropriate thread. This should give you some more pointers should you need it. Feel free to have a read through. :)
Thanks for putting my post in the right place. Prior to posting I searched using a couple key words including the part number for the repair plug and didn't find Gristle's post.

·
Registered
209 Posts
@BaldyDave Quick question... Do you have any pics handy of where/how you routed the excess wire under your tank? I bought a Zumo 395 for the NineT as well as the BMW Repair Plug and would like to try to do it right the first time.

·
Administrator
12,190 Posts
@BaldyDave Quick question... Do you have any pics handy of where/how you routed the excess wire under your tank? I bought a Zumo 395 for the NineT as well as the BMW Repair Plug and would like to try to do it right the first time.
It was a few years ago that I did the work and my dodgy memory seems to recall that as well as hacking the Garmin wiring loom into pieces to solder on the BMW accessory plug and cut off the audio connectors etc, I'm also fairly sure I shortened the SatNav loom length too so I didn't have a lot of wiring to tuck away. I don't think i have any photos of this but if I do I'll post them on this thread.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks, I’ll takes some pics when I do mine then and post up. On the 395 there is a black box and resistors or something in the loom that I can’t shorten it by much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
I finished installing a Garmin Zumo 395 GPS on my bike. I went with the 395 for a few reasons, 1. I have one on my RT and like continuity. 2. It syncs to the Garmin TPMS caps, the newer models do not, it will also sync to my Garmin VIRB camera.

I spliced the Garmin power cord, removing the fuse, onto the BMW repair plug by soldiering the wires and using heat shrink and a high quality electrical tape.

I removed the fuel tank and installed the power cable on to the plug on the left side under the tank, tucking the excess cable safely away.

I used a M6 RAM Ball mount on the handle bar top clamp with a short RAM Arm aiming toward the left grip.

GPS is working great, the TPMS is working great.

The only issue that I ran into was that after I reinstalled the tank. I was getting a LOW FUEL light on the dash. I had also removed the charcoal canister system and thought that removing the electrical valve may have caused a fault. I connected my GS911 and it did show a fault due to the valve being disconnected. I reconnected the valve to the harness and cleared the fault using the GS911 however the LOW FUEL light did not go away. I decided to disconnect the battery for 1 minute. Upon reconnecting the ground to the battery the LOW FUEL light went off. I then re-removed the valve and all is well.

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
212 Posts
Via the dealer

This may be os some use

View attachment 117931

When i picked up my Racer last I spent time with the parts department chap and he pointed me to this part which connects waterproofly to the ignition controlled take off (the one that is cable tied to the frame) so you’d can wire in the garmin mount properly. One of the yellow wires isn’t needed and can be cut.
I have a Racer and would be interested to see how you mounted the gps. Can you post a photo?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2015 came to me with the BMW NAV IV cradle and mount installed, attached to a stock plug beneath the tank

View attachment 129326

View attachment 129327

View attachment 129328
GPS Install

I used the BMW GPS bracket, mount cradle and NAV V with Sun Visor.
Electrical connection to the factory installed GPS plug as already.
I'm looking at the same set up since I already have the NAV VI, but just wondering how much it blocks your instrument cluster (Speedo & Tach)?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm looking at the same set up since I already have the NAV VI, but just wondering how much it blocks your instrument cluster (Speedo & Tach)?
For me it’s been long enough and the mount came off before I rode the bike so I have nothing to offer on this.

301 - 312 of 312 Posts