BMW NineT Forum banner

281 - 300 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've always preferred up high and to the side, rather than lower and in the middle - easier for me to see and still keep one eye on the road ahead. So I use a RAM mirror mount with a short arm and a 'security' knob, such that the NAV sits just above the clutch reservoir. I'd take a picture, but the bike is in the darkest part of my garage just now, awaiting the end of winter snow.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
GPS Install

I used the BMW GPS bracket, mount cradle and NAV V with Sun Visor.
Electrical connection to the factory installed GPS plug as already.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sat Nav - ready made cable - any suggestions?

This has probably been done to death but .... would really like to buy a 0.5 metre cable with BMW BUS plug one end (to plug into the socket under the tank left had side) and the Mini USB Type B Plug which plugs into Garmin Sat Nav the other end - can't find it any where but can't believe it doesn't exist - there must be other people who want to plumb an ordinary Sat Nav into the bike? A cable with the BMW BUS plug on the end would be start but was hoping I could find the whole thing all made up?
I've read the long thread about changing plugs etc, etc but didn't really want to get involved with changing plugs and soldering etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The solution

Surprisingly cheap in fact especially when a number of aftermarket companies seem to be selling this exact cable for £20+ -... available from my local BMW dealer for £9.05 including vat - it's the BMW CAN-BUS plug and trailing cable - the other end is the standard Mini USB Type B Plug - typically £6 on Ebay if you buy it as Garmin or TomTom car charger - just chop the cigarette lighter plug off to reveal red and black wires - connect red to No 3 (positive) .... black to No 1 (negative) and ignore No 2 ... couldn't be easier, even for someone not very practical like me.

Still surprised that no-one actually supplies a ready made cable - must be lots of demand?

·
Registered
292 Posts
On my Scrambler I mounted my Zumo 590 on a Ram mount on a Givi accessory bar which fitted above the bars - worked well, also room for phone. On the racer I have fitted an expansion bolt into the headstock and fitted a RAM mount on to that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My solution is QuadLock,
I wanted something minimal but reliable and have to confess that was somehow skeptical about any kind of support because i didn’t want to have impact on the image of the bike.
I use tomtom go on an iphone and due to a special
offer I finally purchased quadlock for motorcycle. very easy to install. the cover for the phone is well done and slim enough.
Easy to use.
With iphone x tomtom could easily run +/- 4 hours without charge.
I’m satisfied

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12 Posts
Via the dealer

This may be os some use

7A15CD6F-02D5-4A63-9752-F7FCB35B0C88.jpg

When i picked up my Racer last I spent time with the parts department chap and he pointed me to this part which connects waterproofly to the ignition controlled take off (the one that is cable tied to the frame) so you’d can wire in the garmin mount properly. One of the yellow wires isn’t needed and can be cut.

·
Registered
606 Posts
As I understand it, (I haven't done it) you buy the bmw plug that mates to the plug on the bike and then wire it to your gps plug no matter what the make.

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,632 Posts
Which GPS unit is the plug on the R9T for, TomTom or Garmin?
Good question! The GPS connector on the bike isn't model specific. You have to wire it to the plug using an adapter that you can get from BMW or various other sources. There is actually a lot of discussion in a big thread in the electronics section so I've moved your post there (or here as it's already been done!) . Please have a read through this thread and you should find all the info you need. If you've still got any other questions please feel free to ask. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
My 2015 came to me with the BMW NAV IV cradle and mount installed, attached to a stock plug beneath the tank

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good question! The GPS connector on the bike isn't model specific. You have to wire it to the plug using an adapter that you can get from BMW or various other sources. There is actually a lot of discussion in a big thread in the electronics section so I've moved your post there (or here as it's already been done!) . Please have a read through this thread and you should find all the info you need. If you've still got any other questions please feel free to ask. :)
Thanks! I'll give it a look!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dave,
Thanks for your help. But I still can't seem to find the pigtail cable anywhere for sale. Closest I came was a $33 cable from Touratech!! I'm just looking for the correct male plug to be plugged into the stock under tank plug! HELP!! haven't tried my dealer yet.

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,632 Posts
The touratech cable listed in this thread will work, but like a lot of BMW stuff it's expensive. I got my plug directly from BMW but as it was so long ago I can't remember the cost.

REAL OEM Show the official BMW plug, double-check with the dealer before ordering it.

281 - 300 of 300 Posts