BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1421 - 1440 of 1457 Posts

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,501 Posts
I did a little riding the last few days. I thought I might do an overnight trip, but chose to just do a couple day rides instead.

Friday -- I took the day off from work to go ride, but didn't take off on my R9T Pure until early afternoon. I rode my favorite closer-to-home moderately twisty route. It's not SE Ohio, but there are some great corners and the pavement along this route is really good. 170+ miles for the day.

Saturday -- I considered a SE Ohio day, but ended up visiting western PA. @MotoT posted early this year about a trip to Oil City State Park in Pennsylvania and it sounded like a fun trip. I took two-lane roads to the park and to Titusville, and spent some time at the Drake Well and museum just west of town. Afterward I rode north to Erie, PA, and rode around Presque Isle State Park, which is a sizeable peninsula. I stopped for a couple photos, but didn't linger since I wanted to get home. 280+ miles for the day.

Today -- I had a gig (i.e. musical performance) early this afternoon in Westlake, OH, with a band I'm in, and since the weather was good I took the bike. It was hot this afternoon, but I'm glad I took the long way home. 137 miles today.

It was a good week. With my overnight trip Mon/Tue and these three rides, I totaled almost 1,500 miles for the week! :)

The Drake Well. This is a reproduction, but the original well hole is still there.
Plant Sky Building Tree Grass

Sun on its way down on Lake Erie. Photo taken at Beach 8 at Presque Isle State Park.
Water Cloud Sky Water resources Atmosphere

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I took Blitz for a Sunday Midnight Joy Ride. I miss behaved a bit, went fast and had a real good time. I came home went to bed with a huge smile on my face because I know I’ll dream about riding my 9T in the TT.
I didn’t do anything to her today … she did it to me… Thanks Blitz !

·
Registered
2018 R NineT - Blue Planet Metallic w/ 719 billet options
36 Posts
You know that jump on the Isle of Man TT race course at Ballaugh Bridge?

I was riding with a buddy on Saturday taking some lesser known roads on our way to the mountains and came around a corner to a downhill whereby we came up on a raised railroad crossing. It looked to be one of those simple "get out of the saddle and let the bike come up to you and then back down" situations so I didn't think anything of it and slowed down some, but not much. On the other side of the tracks the road dropped off more than I expected and I definitely caught air, but the R NineT took it in stride like it was nothing and I rolled back into the throttle like I meant to do it. My friend asked me later when we stopped for fuel if I had planned doing that and I had to admit the answer was, "Absolutely not". From his point of view behind me he said it looked very smooth and completely controlled.

So yeah.... It's official. R NineT's can fly.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,501 Posts
You know that jump on the Isle of Man TT race course at Ballaugh Bridge?
I accidentally caught air on my VFR 800 once. Riding with a couple friends, I was leading when we came to a set of railroad tracks. I was going too fast and caught a little air leaving the tracks. Startled me a bit but I kept the bike under control. When we stopped later my friend Travis remarked he'd never seen anyone jump a VFR before. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I’m a baaad boy Viper and Tim, because if I’m at the front of the line at a stop-light and there’s room ahead, I get on it hard almost every time. If I get that chance I invariably get the front wheel a few inches off the ground in first, even sometimes in second… is that 1/2 flying? I all ready know I’m a 1/2 ass some of the time I’m UpOn2 but frankly that’s why I ride a motorcycle in the first place and not an sit in an SUV. When I watch TT video I hold my breath every time they land both wheels at 180 and fight the wobble to regain control of their bikes …. Way-Gutsy !
…and still I’d try it… given the chance… …….Blitz

·
Premium Member
2017 Roadster
447 Posts
Rode down to Pier City Customs today (about 10kms outside Brighton) and had some Unit Garage headers fitted to my bike.
Had a great chat with Stu about all things R9T related and even had one of their legendary 'hipster' coffees!

I'm very pleased with the results. They look so much better, the sound is much deeper and somewhat crisper.
Not to mention the bike is also now just over 2kg's lighter.

Here are a couple of iphone shots of the process.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Gas Machine

I already liked the sound of my Werkes exhaust but now it's even deeper and meaner sounding!

Tool Musical instrument Wind instrument Bicycle part Wood

Discarded - 2kgs of questionable quality and a pointless cat.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Took mine to my tame mechanic for him to "crimp" the dangly bit of metal which sits in the petrol tank below the filler cap to stop it rattling. Seems to of worked thus far. Nice.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Took mine to my tame mechanic for him to "crimp" the dangly bit of metal which sits in the petrol tank below the filler cap to stop it rattling. Seems to of worked thus far. Nice.
Ahhh Fast, what’s a machine with a 1000 moving parts that’s more complicated than a good pocket watch, ..that has over 100 horse power ( picture your bike with two rows of 50 horses in front of it ) can go like a lightning bolt …. Worth with out a rattle or two ??? …..🤪🥴🙃
…….Blitz……. you must have been a Sonar man in service to the Queen on HMS ..? What?
I took my mufflers off and now I can’t hear a damn thing but Brappppp POW POW Bang ….
Not a rattle to be heard …. StayUpOn2 Mate At 100 you can’t hear anyway ! ✌😎

Reactions: Fast H

·
Registered
74 Posts
Incorrect A horse power is in fact A pony power. One horse power is actually based on the pulling power of a pit pony (coal mine) from here in the UK from the good old days,. Ha

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Incorrect A horse power is in fact A pony power. One horse power is actually based on the pulling power of a pit pony (coal mine) from here in the UK from the good old days,. Ha
So true, I will not deny. I just think of all the trouble it is to throw a saddle over one horse ..(I ride regularly).. or pony for that matter and then…. ALL the tac and leather it would take for 100 (actually 110)
When ALL I have to do is turn a key and twist my wrist …
What a Lucky Man I Am !!! ✌😎…..Blitz

·
Registered
74 Posts
So true, I will not deny. I just think of all the trouble it is to throw a saddle over one horse ..(I ride regularly).. or pony for that matter and then…. ALL the tac and leather it would take for 100 (actually 110)
When ALL I have to do is turn a key and twist my wrist …
What a Lucky Man I Am !!! ✌😎…..Blitz
Oh our American cousins. Divided by a common language.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Oh our American cousins. Divided by a common language.
Pip Pip, Righty-O Mate … Cheers ..and God Bless that Beautiful Queen…
We could use a few more women of her courage and dignity here across the pond,
she’s my Mum too you know … Long Live that Lady ! BeWellBrits We’ve got your 6 !

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,501 Posts
Not quite today but spent the weekend on some great twisties in the Brecon Beacons in Wales with my MX5 friends. My first longish (250 miles each day) trip since I upgraded my seat. Worth every penny!
Nice cars to hang around with! I have a 2018 "ND1" MX-5. It's almost as much fun in the twisties as my R9T :)

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Not quite today but spent the weekend on some great twisties in the Brecon Beacons in Wales with my MX5 friends. My first longish (250 miles each day) trip since I upgraded my seat. Worth every penny! View attachment 146902
Looks like quite a day … only change up I’d make is … that R9T should be at the head of the line heading up the pack, not taking up the rear. You should be able to pull away in quick order over that pack of 4 wheeled trouble. I’m assuming it’s a paved path for that Classic ?
Frightfully narrow road bed your parked on, how do you pass ? OK last question …..
I don’t know the newer models (I’m on a 2015 Classic) or what’s available so ….. I ask
Did your bike come stock with tubless or is that an after sale change up, and the important part … how long have you had it ..(your bike).. and how many times have you had a flat on the road and done a plug repair yourself, pumped it up and got back on the boulevard ? ……Blitz

·
Premium Member
2017 Roadster
447 Posts
Adjusting front shocks are a dark satanic art as far as i'm concerned and the more it is explained to me the less I understand it.

Luckily After I had my headers fitted earlier on today (see a few posts above) Stu kindly adjusted my static sag and rebound for me. Whatever those are?
Apparently they were quite a way out. I have to say the difference on the ride home was was quite remarkable!

If you haven't had yours looked at or adjusted them yourself yet I strongly recommend you do.

·
Registered
2015 Classic
74 Posts
Nice cars to hang around with! I have a 2018 "ND1" MX-5. It's almost as much fun in the twisties as my R9T :)
Yep, my wife’s NC is the one immediately in front. We do the odd track day in it. Very capable as well as a lot of fun. It’s got Meister coil overs and aftermarket exhaust but otherwise stock. Two wheels are best though 😉

·
Registered
2015 Classic
74 Posts
Looks like quite a day … only change up I’d make is … that R9T should be at the head of the line heading up the pack, not taking up the rear. You should be able to pull away in quick order over that pack of 4 wheeled trouble. I’m assuming it’s a paved path for that Classic ?
Frightfully narrow road bed your parked on, how do you pass ? OK last question …..
I don’t know the newer models (I’m on a 2015 Classic) or what’s available so ….. I ask
Did your bike come stock with tubless or is that an after sale change up, and the important part … how long have you had it ..(your bike).. and how many times have you had a flat on the road and done a plug repair yourself, pumped it up and got back on the boulevard ? ……Blitz
I spent plenty of time at the front 😉 I let the cars catch up and overtake every now and then so I had someone to play with.
Yes all paved - that was a particularly narrow stretch!
It’s a 2015 classic like yours. I picked it up in spring 2018. I’ve made a few mods since and the rear wheel (from a slightly newer scrambler) was the latest - fleabay sourced.
Not yet had a flat, though I’ve probably only ridden it 8000 miles or so. I have an F800ST that does most of my two wheeled mileage.My nine T is a fair -weather bike - too pretty to get dirty (and a bitch to clean😂)

·
Registered
2021 BMW R NineT Scrambler
166 Posts
Well I can't top the cars there with my 21 year old truck, but.... what I did yesterday was put some new skins on the Bean. I went with a recommendation from one of our brothers from our forum and yup what a difference it made (why is it that we don't hear enough from the sisters here?). I went from the stock Metzi Karoo's and put a fresh set of Continental TK 70's on, (I think I said 90's somewhere else here, oops) and the day before I put on a set of Unit Garage Risers, and some tank protectors.

It has turned out that despite my love of single tracking, and general dirty rides, I am doing a ton of street riding to get where I want to start. The Metzi are good off road but a bit sketchy on the road and the fact that they howl like a dog at the moon, (or was that me), doesn't help their case. So far in the first 200 miles that I have had the TK 70's, yes that is from yesterday, all is good, next we go find some tidy single track to test the off roading side of the equation. I can say that the tire has a much better road response, and more nimble with no chunkyness feeling through the curves. I have only had a small chance to see how they carve the turns but they do inspire much more confidence than the Metzi.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

As for the Unit risers, I just gotta say it again I love Unit Garage, all my recent purchases with them have been prompt, no hassle despite being international, and top quality. These risers are beautiful in and of themselves, went on without a problem, no rerouting cables or lines, and look great. (Raised and set back handlebar risers for Bmw nineT)
I found that stock was just not right for me. When I would stand, off road, I had to bend over uncomfortably and could not ride the track as well because of being in a bad position. I went then with a nice set of BMW risers and that helped in the standing position, however, I was still reaching and on long rides my elbows would ache. The Unit pieces have a pull back to them that is just right for me. Love them.

And for a hat trick, I put a tank sticky on to protect my very pretty tank from the bottom button on my jacket and my key fob (it is very short and cloth but still...) from scratching things. Took one of the clear ones you can buy at most cycle shops, this one is OneDesign brand, and cut it up so that it covered just what I needed to protect.
Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive design Automotive exterior Located at the bottom by seat Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Gauge Automotive design At the top​

So now in addition to my new Unit seat which is glorious I am pretty much set. Okay not really, but my bank account says enough for now at least.

Kind regards,
~Bean

Reactions: TimC and Norbi

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I spent plenty of time at the front 😉 I let the cars catch up and overtake every now and then so I had someone to play with.
Yes all paved - that was a particularly narrow stretch!
It’s a 2015 classic like yours. I picked it up in spring 2018. I’ve made a few mods since and the rear wheel (from a slightly newer scrambler) was the latest - fleabay sourced.
Not yet had a flat, though I’ve probably only ridden it 8000 miles or so. I have an F800ST that does most of my two wheeled mileage.My nine T is a fair -weather bike - too pretty to get dirty (and a bitch to clean😂)
I figured you’d chew up those cars. I’ve yet to encounter a four wheeler that could challenge me. I know they are out there especially with all the electrics being released these days but I’ve yet to encounter one. I like the idea of being able to plug a tire on the highway but I really don’t like the spoke lay out on the tubeless rim. Just looks weird if your into Classic wires. I might be willing to try sealing the rims with a kit but right now I’m still strong enough to break the bead and change a tube by my self and with the single swing arm and drive shaft it’s easy to remove the rear wheel and repair or replace the tube. I know it’s illogical but the Classic look is important to me…. But then I’ve only had one flat on the road in a very long time. StayUpOn2 Man and be careful racing with friends, it can get you run over is someone gets overconfident … BeWell ……Blitz

Reactions: Aeronb
1421 - 1440 of 1457 Posts